Archinect
anchor

FIU M.Arch vs UF Preprofessional Program?

claudiav.angulo

I'm a resident in Florida, to which I decided to pursue an architecture major here in the State. I'm currently living in Miami and I have narrowed down my options to two schools. Both universities have accepted me and waiting for my decision. I'm also eligible for the FAS Bright Futures (which helps to pay full-tuition for a bachelor's degree)

The first one is Florida International University (FIU), which is located here in Miami. I was accepted into their accelerated program for architecture (M.Arch), which I'm aware will take approximately 5 years and is NAAB accredited. The second school that I'm also considering is the University of Florida. I was accepted into their pre-professional program (4 years) which is not NAAB accredited, yet I also know is the top university here in Florida and offers one of the best architecture programs nationally. I want to hear an opinion for both programs, why an accredited program might be/ might not be better than a non-accredited, is it better to stay in Miami (avoiding the extra cost of housing), or moving up north and adding that extra cost?

Other schools that I was accepted for an architecture degree include: Georgia Tech and UCF. I was accepted into FSU but as a civil engineering major (They do not offer an architecture degree).

Mar 21, 21 2:58 pm
RJ87

You mentioned it already, but Florida’s undergraduate program is one of the top programs in the Southeast & routinely produces students that go to top graduate schools. You’d get a large university experience, whether that’s something you like or not is up to you. UF is a great value for in state students, especially with bright futures.

Don’t take this the wrong way, because I know nothing about you. But if you decide down the line that you don’t want to continue with architecture school, which is common in the first year, you’ll have a ton of other options for majors at Florida. It’s the top ranked school in the state by a wide margin.

Mar 22, 21 12:44 am  · 
2  · 
RJ87

& congrats on getting into both schools by the way. It’s a big life moment.

Mar 22, 21 12:46 am  · 
1  · 
claudiav.angulo

Thank you so much for your insight!!

Mar 22, 21 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: