Archinect
anchor

B Arch or M Arch? That is the question.

Creator225

In the real work a day world of trying to become a licensed architect and get a job/work. Will opting for the B Arch instead of the M Arch reduce the odds of employment for such an applicant? I’m given the impression that since both lead to licensure it doesn’t matter but if a potential employer has a stack of resumes do employers see these degrees the same way? 

Thanks for any advice.

Just FYI Choosing between 8 schools.

5 year B Arch at 1 school, Iowa State (Like 5 year time frame & Design program, not really accepted into your program of choice until end of Freshman Year is a risk, relative graduated from engineering there recently and highly recommends school, they ffered me in state tuition price for four years) 

5 year M Arch at 1 school, Kansas (not so excited about location)

Also, 4 year degree programs (4 +2) M Arch at 6 schools

U of Illinois, Urbana (Home State, 2 hrs from home. Relative who had an architecture firm in Illinois, now retired, said people from this school had the skills needed at their firm so hired many from there over the years.)

U of Illinois, Chicago (Home State, not interested so much, this was the  ‘safety’ school.

U of Minnesota, Minneapolis (Not offering much money/scholarship to go there.)

Ohio State

University of Cincinnati, Not so interested in their schedule.

University of Kentucky (Like this one because Equestrian programs and friends who also competitively ride go there. Still looking into the quality of their program.)

Mar 20, 21 8:46 pm
thisisnotmyname

A BArch is fine.  I have never seen anyone favor an MArch applicant over a BArch only on the basis of what kind of degree they have.  Six years is a long time to be in one architecture program.

Mar 22, 21 11:48 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: