Archinect
anchor

M.Arch (accredited) or MS.AAD? International Students

tt27
Should international students with a B.Arch degrees opt for M.arch (accredited) or MS.AAD if they want to work in then US?

Mar 19, 21 3:35 pm
nilenvarade
With the MS.AAD, you can work in the USA. The M.Arch accreditation works best if you don’t have a pre-professional degree.
Mar 19, 21 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
hbassal

you see, with international degrees even the professional ones in one's home country, they are not considered professional in the US. However, some schools see them as close enough to the M.Arch or B.Arch that they deem you overqualified for applying for those and instead direct you to apply for the post-professional degree.

Mar 20, 21 5:53 am  · 
 · 
hbassal

but i'm curious as to what kind of a job you can get with the MSAAD degree?

Mar 20, 21 5:54 am  · 
1  · 
tt27

My point exactlyyy!!! If I already have a B.Arch from my home country and pursue an MS AAD in the US

Mar 20, 21 6:00 am  · 
 · 
tt27

What sort of job will I get? A research based or a design oriented one?

Mar 20, 21 6:05 am  · 
 · 
nilenvarade
I have generally seen working professionals with close to 1-3 years experience join the MS AAD program. That way, it is comparatively easy to find a job at any design firm. Also, it's a great path to pursue a phD later on.

If you're coming directly from undergrad, I personally feel the one year program is less time to adapt to grad school, learn all the skillsets and also your entire winter break might go in preparing the portfolio and finding jobs. So the experience of a grad school will be compromised.

it's a very personal choice to make. You’ll need to put in that extra work for the MS AAD for sure.
Mar 20, 21 8:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: