Archinect
anchor

Cornell MSAAD v.s. UCLA MSAUD?

draicamle

Hi, 

I mainly wanted to see whether there is any Cornell MSAAD / M. Arch I alumni here who could give me some insights towards the program. 

I know that grad students and undergrads share the same studio courses, how does that work? Wouldn't you be learning basically the same thing from your undergrad assuming you've already done your B. Arch? Also what is the deal with the 1.5 & 2 year options?

Overall I really like the Cornell program (the student works, research vibes). And personally I would really love to pursue some research around design discourse and theories. But if we are taking the same studio with the undergrads then how exactly will we engage our territorial investigations in specific design projects? Since most of these specific disciplinary explorations only come in the form of electives, it would feel somewhat inadequate to me? Or perhaps graduate students engage in the design prompts in their own ways? Now I'm just curious as to what exactly does it offer as a post-grad program.

The UCLA MSAUD program somehow feels like it has more concentration and a stronger research component in its studios, which is specific to grad students. However I do feel like the entire program seems very representation oriented, maybe someone could also give me some insights?

Although employment is also important to me while considering between the two programs, I mainly want to find the program that will further my research interest in theory and discourse, and urbanism. (The MIT SMarchS for example, has a theory concentration which seemed very tempting now, but at the time I did not think of applying because I did not know much about the school.)

Also I just want to meet some fellow incoming students! Feel free to dm me!

Mar 18, 21 9:03 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: