Archinect
anchor

Would it be a bad idea to decline offers of admissions and reapply later?

Zoidian

Hi all, sorry for posting here a lot lately, just have a lot to think through.

So, I got into 6 of the 8 MLA programs that I applied to, including Berkeley and UVA. The problem is that I received very little financial aid; at Berkeley it would cost around $190K for the three year program, and even the cheapest school I got into, NC State, would still be around $100K.

I really don't want to risk taking out 6-figures in loans, so I'm wondering if I should take a year or two and apply to schools again with a better application? Not only could I work and save some money, but I could also make a much better portfolio, and could also take the GRE to counter my lower GPA (since schools didn't require the GRE this application  cycle).

I'm just worried that if I decline my offers of admission, than I may not be accepted to the same schools, or if I am, they may not offer me any better financial aid than they are now. I would of course apply to other schools, but I don't want to throw away an opportunity to go to Berkeley or UVA either.

Any insights would be appreciated. :)

Mar 18, 21 1:32 pm
jcarch

Things may  have changed since I went to grad school, but my understanding back then was that the acceptance process and the financial aid process were separate, with financial aid based on need, not based on "we really need this person at our school because they're so amazing, give them more $ to make sure they come here."  So I'm not sure better GRE scores and portfolio will result in better aid packages being offered.  The exception to this rule was a classmate who was accepted to multiple programs, and called up program x to say that program y was offering them a better package (this was true, they weren't just BS'ing).  Program x matched that offer and he went to program x.

Mar 18, 21 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

A lot of programs offer "merit" based scholarships with the sole point of enticing students to attend, merit & need based scholarships are two very different things. As they should be, in my opinion.

As for the OP, if you decide to take a gap year or two I would view it as an opportunity to save money while working in a firm. You may also get a better offer, but that's not something you can plan for.

Mar 18, 21 2:56 pm  · 
2  · 
square.

100-190k for state school? absolutely not.

no program is worth that much, actually.

Mar 18, 21 2:20 pm  · 
6  · 
Non Sequitur

these finances posts are getting worse and worse... everyday.

Mar 18, 21 2:56 pm  · 
3  · 
RJ87

It really is staggering the amount of debt people come out of school with to start earning 50k ish a year. Particularly when you realize the effect the interest rates have over time. I think part of the issue is added length of schooling, why anyone goes to a 3.5 year grad program on top of an undergraduate architecture degree is beyond me. Get out & get licensed as fast as possible.

Mar 18, 21 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
square.

i'm super shocked that nc state cost 100k.. that is an average, at best, state school. wild

i graduated from a "top 10" private school with about half that much and still felt like that was way too much.

your instinct to run for the hills is a good one.

Mar 18, 21 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
kx.rbz

The following are my initial thoughts, I am sure I'd think of something more comprehensive if I think about it further. i agree with the above responses. and personally, i no program is worth taking out loans greater then 60k across 3yrs for a grad program, especially if you have other debt. unfortunately, the reality is that many have to take out loans grater then this. 

It is not an easy decision to have to decline because of money, however, if you are willing to reapply next year and are confident that you can develop a portfolio which would be strong enough for merit scholarships, then focus on that. I would also focus on incorporating this into your essay, so that the committees are aware that aid was the reason for why you declined. To decline and then reapply with a much stronger portfolio shows perseverance and a strong determination. If you do not think that you'll be able to develop a much stronger portfolio, then that is a different situation.

depending on the school, many do offer merit scholarships based on how much they want a particular student. if i were you, i'd confirm which this and apply to those that do.

good luck

Mar 18, 21 2:45 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: