Archinect
anchor

Is this true?

starkkitect

I've recently heard from a friend who applied for M.Arch in the US, that in the portfolio they only accept up to 1~2 competition team projects and the rest must be academic works.

I can't find any restrictions such as the above in the grad schools in the US that I've looked up.

Just wondering if this is true or not.

Mar 12, 21 2:45 am
archinet

doubt it is true- be clear about your role and team members when adding competition work. 

Mar 12, 21 4:14 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

why didn’t you ask your friend for the source?

Mar 12, 21 5:52 am  · 
 · 
midlander

or ask the schools you're interested in...

Mar 12, 21 6:05 am  · 
 · 
Wall-E

Isn't that obvious?t they are looking for your individual skills.

Mar 12, 21 6:50 am  · 
 · 
starkkitect

yeah I mean I wish it were true but I find it hard to believe

Mar 13, 21 3:35 am  · 
 · 

There is no standard between school on what they accept for a portfolio.

Mar 12, 21 9:27 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

Don't worry too much, I have experienced plenty of slackers back in the day in uni, they all managed to get in somewhere somehow, you'll be fine ;-)

Mar 12, 21 9:55 am  · 
3  · 
starkkitect

a lot of those 'slackers' were actually probably not slackers. they just didn't brag or show their work publicly lul

Mar 13, 21 3:36 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Whatever you need to tell yourself...but we all know there’s a reason you wonder about a limit of team projects in a portfolio...and that is because the team work supported by the hard work of others exceeds the quality of your personal projects, no need to beat around that bush here, I get it ;-)

Mar 13, 21 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
starkkitect

I was speaking more in the lines of them actually doing hard work but not expressing it but yeah I guess that is right too

Mar 13, 21 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

Interesting to imagine portfolio expectations (and by association, review committees across all the programs and degree levels) had become so standardized - running applicants though a portfolio combine prior to acceptance.

Mar 12, 21 10:14 am  · 
1  · 
starkkitect

Me, I didn't believe it since i've seen so many portfolios that got into the IVY grad schools that was full of competition projects.

But apparently according to my friends, the grad schools have limited the amount of competition / intern works people can add in their portfolio since most of the submitted portfolios add too much of them rather than academic works.

Personally I prefer to have the limitation since I feel so disadvantaged when it comes to the amount of competition work comparison, not to mention the amount of awards.

Mar 13, 21 3:35 am  · 
 · 
autofireunit

It is true. They prefer individual academic work. just check their websites. some say it really clearly.

Mar 15, 21 12:17 am  · 
 · 
hellion

I have a friend who got admitted into GSD/Princeton/GSAPP (All post-professional programs) whose portfolio was mostly "collaboration" projects. While individual projects are still the ones that they'll consider/ will highlight your potential, group projects are essential in terms of your dynamics with other people (and grad school projects are mostly collaborative).  

Mar 14, 21 7:44 am  · 
 · 
starkkitect

did that friend get in this year? I alr know that portfolios include a lot of competition / nonacademic works but what I'm talking about here is for this year's ongoing applications

Mar 14, 21 9:19 am  · 
 · 
hellion

In this year. Actually got admitted a few years back but reapplied with the same portfolio (and got scholarships this time around). Also, it depends on which M.Arch are you applying to + you know that there different people e in the admissions committee assessing an application, right? So your portfolio could be piled or go to someone from a particular studio with a particular agenda which is looking into an applicant's potential and collaborative participation in group projects, or it could be assessed by someone who looks more into individual work. Whatever way, while the criteria points remain objective, the selection process's subjectivity is solely based on the committee member who has their hands on your application.

Mar 14, 21 9:49 am  · 
 · 
starkkitect

I see... thanks a bunch!

Mar 15, 21 2:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: