Archinect
anchor

M.Arch 1 Pratt Vs. Michigan

BAS1

I am having a hard time choosing between Pratt and Michigan for an M.Arch 1.  I have a non-architecture background, and I was recently accepted into these programs, UT Austin, and am currently waiting on GSAPP.  

I received acceptance to Pratt with a $96,000 scholarship and a $30,000 scholarship at Michigan (trying to negotiate and get this a little higher) 

Although both programs seem to have different pedagogy's and stylistically produce different work, it seems to me that both are producing great work that I would happy to be a part of.  

What worries me is that I have read on this forum that Pratt's grad program is disorganized and difficult at times for students.  I am hoping someone could give me incite on this topic. How big of a difference will it be (skill wise and job-prospect wise) if I go to Pratt over Michigan? Will I have a bad experience if I choose Pratt?  It seems like Michigan is held with greater respect, and I have read comments from many that Pratt is viewed by New York firms as being "out there" and undesirable.  I don't know if this is true, and am hoping that someone could give me insight on this topic. 

Like I said, I like the work produced by both programs, and I find that they both have solid faculty.  But coming from a non-architecture background, I feel that I don't quite have the analytical eye necessary to discern nuanced differences between the schools and, importantly, which program is producing valuable graduates to the architecture community.

My main goal is finding a program that can get me up to date on theory, history, skills, and practice so that I can be a productive member of the architecture community.  

Mar 11, 21 5:42 pm
natematt

How much debt would you be taking on at either school with current scholarship? 

Mar 12, 21 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
BAS1

At Pratt, very little if any debt with the money I have saved up for grad school. I am currently negotiating with the admissions committee at Michigan for an increase in scholarship. At Michigan with 30,000, I would definitely be in debt after college. However, I have been in contact with a student in a similar situation who was able to negotiate an increase in scholarship money, so I am hopeful in that regard

Mar 12, 21 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

...and where (geographically) do you hope to end up living / working?

Mar 12, 21 12:44 pm  · 
1  · 
BAS1

I would like to work in the east coast. I've heard differing accounts on the subject, some saying that Michigan has a better reputation among firms there, and some saying being situated in Brooklyn at Pratt increases those chances, but I have not yet been able to find any clarification on the matter.

Mar 12, 21 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
BAS1

To clarify, it seems to me that B.Arch at Pratt is well regarded. I am worried about the rep of M.Arch 1, particularly for those coming in without a background

Mar 12, 21 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: