Archinect
anchor

SCI-Arc V.S. Pratt, etc

anekke

Hello, I just got news of my acceptance and full-ride tuition to SCI-Arc for B. Arch. I've been browsing forums about SCI-Arc and am kind of concerned of the program and discipline itself. From what I've been seeing on forms there is some question-ability with employment and even being too out there after SCI-Arc (going into films and such and I am unsure if I would lean towards that). 

I was wondering about personal experience or any experience within SCI-Arc or with SCI-Arc graduates. About employ-ability, pitfalls, benefits etc etc etc. 

So far I want to go, obviously for the free ride but also for California but I think I preferred bigger cities like Chicago or NYC. And teachers are stating that it more has to do with the student than anything, but I want to be able to have a strong foundation. Obviously I could do my graduate somewhere else but who knows. 

I have been accepted to Pratt, IIT, SAIC, and Virginia Tech so far (merits for all but Virginia and cost per year is like 30k for those other ones)  Currently waiting on UMich, Syracuse, Cornell, USC, RISD, Rice, Cooper Union, UC Berkeley and some others I think. I don't think I will be offered as great as a deal of the one I received from SCI-Arc. 

The main question being does where you get your degree have serious impact on employ-ability. Any insight would be great!! Thanks so much! 

Mar 9, 21 12:34 pm
tduds

"and some others I think." How does one apply to so many schools that they forget which ones they've applied to? 

Mar 9, 21 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
anekke

Hi, yeah I went overblown for the applications. The area I am in has free and reduced lunch for all students and so most apps were free. I felt I might as well apply to as many as I could(nearly worked myself to death) in order to have options. I am pretty sure I applied to like 13 or 14 schools but I wrote this on the fly so i didn’t go to like my master doc with all my planning and apps.

Mar 9, 21 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
anekke

Hi, yeah I went overblown for the applications. The area I am in has free and reduced lunch for all students and so most apps were free. I felt I might as well apply to as many as I could(nearly worked myself to death) in order to have options. I am pretty sure I applied to like 13 or 14 schools but I wrote this on the fly so i didn’t go to like my master doc with all my planning and apps.

Mar 9, 21 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Nothing wrong with applying to lots of schools. Applying to too few is worse.

Mar 9, 21 12:50 pm  · 
1  · 
anekke

yeah, that’s what I felt too but I was so stressed out cause my life was already busy. I think it was worth it in the end though

Mar 9, 21 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

There are some pretty great schools there that you haven't heard from yet.  Hard to give advice without knowing what some of them may offer you.  Does your Sci-Arch full ride provide anything for housing and food?

Mar 9, 21 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
anekke

I hear housing is you’re on your own so what I already have saved up for tuition would go to that lol. But they have like a site to find roommates so rent isn’t AS bad. I think with SCI-Arc I would have 0 student debt which is bonkers but even so :/// uncertain

Mar 9, 21 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
anekke

minus the you're, sorry, am on my phone now 

Mar 9, 21 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
square.

30k per year will load you with unsustainable debt (120k-150k, plus cost of living) that will take you, no exaggeration, 20 years to repay (yes, you will be in your 40s. that is a very long time). and you won't even be able to repay it all, needing to utilize the "forgiveness" program that requires you to fork over taxes on whatever amount is leftover.

a full ride = freedom. follow the money. you won't regret it.

Mar 9, 21 12:52 pm  · 
1  · 
anekke

You are right in that regard! my parents are suspicious of SCI-arc as well so I have a little push back but I am trying to convince myself that I will fall in love with the program and campus

Mar 9, 21 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

You really need to fully investigate the cost of living in Los Angeles. Apartment, food, and car. Also know that school where nobody lives on campus is a much different social situation than a place with dorms (and non-architecture students in the mix).

Mar 9, 21 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

If the OP has legit financial need and can get admitted, I think Rice might come up with a pretty good financial aid offer.

Mar 9, 21 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
anekke

I don't really gave financial need, middle middle class if anything but my school received free and reduced lunch which allowed me to have free waivers.

Mar 9, 21 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
anekke

Moreover, I was thinking about the school itself and student body. I always wanted to go to a huge school with different kinds of students so not having this is somewhat a concern. Cost of living is fine since the money I had saved for tuition (around 64k I believe) would go towards rooming and cost of living. Thanks for the advice by the way!

Mar 9, 21 1:29 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

sounds like you're well prepared.

Mar 9, 21 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: