Archinect
anchor

M.Arch. at University of Oregon or NCSU

himathaker

I got into both UO portland and NCSU for their 2 year M.arch. program. I am really confused which one to choose. UO is offering 10K in funding whereas NCSU is not. If anyone has any idea which school is better ranked, has better financial aid and assistantship opportunities please help me out. Also which is a better area to live in for an international student, Raleigh or Portland?

Mar 8, 21 12:40 pm
Non Sequitur

You would think one would do basic research before applying to schools.  

Mar 8, 21 12:45 pm  · 
square.

many, many questions.

go with the cheaper option.

Mar 8, 21 12:46 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Do you have plans for life post grad? I have generally good opinions of UO, and I don't know much about NC State, but I live in Oregon. I imagine someone living & working in Raleigh would have the opposite take. UO has (or had) a reputation for sustainability, but in my experience they were just the first to focus on it, and by now most of the rest of the country has caught up while Oregon has mostly just plateaued (with a few exceptions). 

I think you'll find that whichever school you choose will have a decent reputation near the school, and be relatively unknown anywhere else. 

Both cities have their pro's and con's. My best friend lives in Raleigh and other than the climate both cities have a lot in common: medium sized somewhat liberal enclaves in the middle of a much more conservative rural state, good food & beer scene, lots of bikes. Typical yuppie American stuff. Oregon is politically farther left than NC mostly because the Portland area outweighs the rest of the population whereas Raleigh doesn't quite. Portland is closer to wilderness but western NC has some beautiful nature just a few hours away. 

Anyway go with whichever is cheaper, unless money doesn't matter to you. Good luck!

Mar 8, 21 12:51 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

PS - Also, the Portland program is very much a little outpost in the middle of the city. If you want a "campus" experience, you're not going to get it at UO Portland. If you want an urban experience, with the majority of studios taught by local working architects, that's the real benefit of Portland. You're very embedded in the city's professional architectural world, in my opinion at the expense of the 'academic' world. But that's good for some people!

Mar 8, 21 12:54 pm  · 
1  · 
himathaker

This was very helpful. Thankyou so much.

Mar 8, 21 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: