Archinect
anchor

Pritzker Predictions 2021

It's March, folks, and you know what that means: who do you think will win the Pritzker Architecture Prize this year?

Mar 4, 21 7:45 pm
curtkram

this is my year!

Mar 4, 21 8:01 pm  · 
10  · 

Him. "The vigilante Carpenter."
https://archinect.com/news/art...

Mar 4, 21 9:43 pm  · 
5  · 

Dr. Fauci.

Mar 4, 21 10:35 pm  · 
10  · 
Janosh

I predict it won't matter.

Not just being snarky, but it seems like this prize has lost much of its luster with architecture reevaluating the hero system

Mar 4, 21 10:44 pm  · 
3  · 
monosierra

They kind of tried to go for the best-intention approach with Wang Shu, who had great ideas but uneven execution. Aravena too - his architecture alone has little claim to the prize but he had good intentions, free interns aside.

Mar 5, 21 9:00 am  · 
3  · 
natematt

That's 2 out of the last 9? There are some real great picks in there too... Frei Otto? That was out of left field, but I'm not mad at all.

Mar 6, 21 3:11 am  · 
1  · 
your conscience

BIG deserves it. they've pretty much solved architecture.

Mar 4, 21 10:47 pm  · 
1  ·  12
tduds

Sarcasm?

Mar 5, 21 2:41 pm  · 
6  · 
randomised

David Adjaye

Mar 5, 21 4:35 am  · 
5  ·  2
hellion

As how the Gen Z's put it, "he is the moment."

Mar 5, 21 8:20 am  · 
1  · 
hellion

David Adjaye

Diller, Scofidio + Renfro (or just Elizabeth Diller?) 

Kengo Kuma

Vo Trong Nghia

Daniel Libeskind (I feel though he's passed his prime but we'll never know! Age & experience has no limits.)

Mar 5, 21 8:30 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

Adjaye would be a good pick, imo.

Mar 5, 21 2:42 pm  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Lacaton + Vassal ... but they might go for a surprise veteran who isn't covered as much by the mainstream press.

Mar 5, 21 8:58 am  · 
8  · 
randomised

Those bastards delivering their awesome affordable social housing projects on time and under budget, no way the architecture community would stand for such heresy!

Mar 5, 21 9:27 am  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Lactation what? Sorry i had to have my high-school moment

Mar 5, 21 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
ovalle

Good guess, they won.

Mar 16, 21 10:14 am  · 
1  · 
natematt

And we have a winner. Well done.

Mar 16, 21 12:43 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

Adjaye.

Mar 5, 21 9:29 am  · 
3  · 
sameolddoctor

Donald Trump

Mar 5, 21 12:19 pm  · 
x-jla

Adjaye or Holl.

Mar 5, 21 12:54 pm  · 
tduds

I honestly thought Holl had already won it. He seems like an ideal candidate for a 95-2002 prize. Guess not.

Mar 5, 21 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Yeah but I think he missed his shot. The projects are nice but not THAT nice.

Mar 5, 21 3:10 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

I also think the priorities of the committee have shifted since Holl did his best work, and they're not looking to reward the type of work he did (whereas ~20 years ago they were rewarding exactly that type of work) .

Mar 5, 21 3:26 pm  · 
3  · 
x-jla

Who was the youngest winner?

Mar 5, 21 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Ryue Nishizawa was the youngest I think

Mar 5, 21 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

they'll need to virtue signal the shit out this prize so i bet it's not going to be a white man. it would be good to award to some intellectual who hasn't built anything and doesn't have any intention to.

Mar 5, 21 7:39 pm  · 
2  ·  2
SneakyPete

Virtue Signaling = we have no values but want to pretend we do

Value Signaling = we are making this decision in alignment with our moral and ethical beliefs

Mar 5, 21 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

thanks, i didn't know there were formal definitions for these things

Mar 5, 21 7:43 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

There aren't, but I'm trying.

Mar 5, 21 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Go away troll (Koww)

Mar 6, 21 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

i am a cow, not a troll. actually i was a cow. but then i was something else the moderators didn't like and they changed my name back. i guess they wanted me around

Mar 6, 21 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
mai

David Adjule  

the world needs a black architect  Pritzker Prize winner, especially when we all strive for a more diverse and inclusive society.  His prize will lift up the pride of all black people and will help them believe in the power they can change the world for the better. 

Mar 5, 21 8:27 pm  · 
1  · 
monosierra

But does his work warrant the prize? What about an African architect?

Mar 5, 21 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

The NMAAHC alone warrants it, imo.

Mar 5, 21 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

That building has its big moment but its rather mundane interior space and clunky cladding are minuses for me.

Mar 5, 21 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

monosierra... he is an African Architect...

Mar 6, 21 2:56 am  · 
 · 
natematt

"mundane interior space"

David Adjaye's African American Museum photographed by Brad Feinknopf

Mar 6, 21 3:00 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I would actually agree that I think his work is well deserving. He has a nice body of high quality work.

However... It's ironic to say that the NMAAHC "alone" warrants it... considering the design team was a 4 architect bond, which no one seems to know, and none of the 4 architects ever mention when they present it hahahahaha. Which could also release him of some of the criticism for the interiors though too. My last comment notwithstanding. 

Mar 6, 21 3:01 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Adjaye has a shitload of built work spanning over 20+ years, and different project typologies, locations, and expressions. He never repeats himself and is an amazing architect. 

That anyone would he think he deserved or would receive this award solely because he is black just indicates they are a prejudiced fool.

Mar 6, 21 1:55 pm  · 
4  · 
curtkram

if david adyaye beats me, i'd be ok with that

Mar 7, 21 10:30 am  · 
 · 
rodrigovelasco

Alberto Kalach

Mar 6, 21 4:06 pm  · 
2  · 
bigbono

The Pritzker Prize in Architecture has become completely irrelevant. It will make no differnce whatsoever to anything that is vaguely important in our world. The only thing it will do is increase the fame and fortune of its recepient. It's another useless ego trip award - a MEANINGLESS award in today's world. 

Mar 6, 21 5:45 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

What awards have a particularly great meaning? Isn't the general intent to congratulate someone after the fact of having done something of perceived value?

Mar 6, 21 7:11 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

I'm curious when you think this started? At what point in the past was the Pritzker relevant to "anything that is vaguely important in our world"?

Mar 7, 21 11:25 am  · 
2  · 
archbold927

I have my bets on Jeanne Gang!

Mar 7, 21 9:37 am  · 
3  · 
j2gon

Feliz dia, tengan, soy de opinion que el premio, "premia" la influencia e incidencia de la obra de un colega, y al ver la lista, me pregunto, porque no lo ha recibido, MOSHE SAFDI???, creo que es un digno merecedor y sin desmiritarar en lo absoluto al cuerpo de nominados, Saludos y RESPETOS a todos

Mar 7, 21 10:37 am  · 
 · 

Safdie has been spurned by the Architecture Establishment since Habitat. He should have gotten the first Pritzker instead of Johnson.

Mar 13, 21 9:52 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, his moustache alone deserves one.

Mar 13, 21 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

his best client just died so that would be a nice good break for him...

Mar 14, 21 12:34 am  · 
 · 
Chemex

Just thinking there's never been a Mid-American architect like Blackwell awarded. Seems they have been staying away from Americans and Canadians in general. Arevana will probably go for some political developer making $45000 tents. 

Mar 9, 21 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
square.

about as exciting as the royal drama.

Mar 9, 21 2:08 pm  · 
4  · 
kenchiku

I'm thinking Francis Kéré

Mar 13, 21 7:31 pm  · 
1  · 

I missed this year's festivities trying to keep up with work, but... wow. Can we all confess there's now way we would have guessed L&V? I mean, props to @monosierra for the call - not even a hedge with 3 other choices. 

I think we can also safely say so long as Arevana is chair, Holl and DS+R can forget it. Same with anyone of that genre/approach/focus. 

Mar 16, 21 2:52 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Holl and DS+R's work of the last decade or so is totally irrelevant...

Mar 17, 21 5:17 am  · 
1  · 

Good choice, but the Pritzker committee must have missed apukov's portfolio.

Mar 16, 21 8:13 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

I missed it too unfortunately :-(

Mar 17, 21 5:14 am  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: