Archinect
anchor

33 NC professional pursuing M-ARCH, non design background. Connect!

emilyfallin

Hello all!

I am a 33 year old NC dreamer with a non design background applying for a Masters in Architecture. I have a B.A. in history; post grad, my careers include small business ownership and corporate director of retail in hospitality. Professionally and personally I have experience in interior design, visual merchandising, and art; however, I have no formal art/design education. Currently, I am enrolled in a beginner's illustrator course, woodworking, and physics.

SO, what course or resource would you recommend as fundamental prior to entry. Spring/Summer 2022 is my target, and I want to optimize my time in preparation.

Also, what platforms can I access to meet current M-Arch students, I would love to chat with someone with a similar background, perhaps someone with a decade gap in an academic setting. 

I'm diving in, send me all and any flotation device. Looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Emily

Mar 3, 21 11:56 am
hanmeru

Hi, Emily. I'm 35 and applied last fall to MLA programs. Happy to share my experience. If you share your email, I'll reach out to you off the forum. 

Mar 3, 21 12:05 pm  · 
1  · 
emilyfallin

eafallin@gmail.com . Looking forward to it!

Mar 3, 21 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Some applicants participate in summer programs such as Design Discovery or longer programs such as New York Paris to prep their portfolios and also to experience studio life. These are helpful but there are also applicants from non-design backgrounds who take matters into their own hands entirely and build portfolios with great work that they initiated themselves.

Mar 3, 21 1:15 pm  · 
1  · 
geezertect

Read:  "Architect??", by Roger Lewis.  Good, even-handed discussion of the profession and what you can expect and not expect from it.  Make sure it's what you really want to do.

Mar 3, 21 10:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: