Archinect
anchor

M.Arch - RMIT vs Univesity of Sydney

Vene_tion

Hi everyone. I have M.Arch offers from these two universities (among more others although I'm narrowing it down to these two) and I'm quite confused between the two. As I understand, University of Sydney has a prestige factor with it while RMIT has more industry oriented teaching and by extension a good network. One is in Sydney and the other in Melbourne. Both universities seem equally good options, although RMIT has cheaper tuition fees (20% scholarship). Yet I'm quite confused between the two.

I would appreciate if someone can provide me with any insight into choosing between the two.

Also, does it really matter to graduate from the top university in Australia vs the third ranking one (QS Rankings).

Thanks!

Mar 3, 21 11:38 am
luvu

In New South Wales .... UNSW > UTS > USYD
RMIT is the equivalent of SCI Arc/AA of the southern hemisphere...easily the top 20 arch school in the world.

Mar 3, 21 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
Vene_tion

UNSW > UTS > USYD

Any reason why you state this order?

Mar 4, 21 11:30 am  · 
 · 
secil_t

They are both Go8 schools so both are very good schools in Australia.

One factor to think about is actually the Covid situation and whether you're in Australia or not. I have a fully funded PhD offer from another Go8 university in Melbourne but I can't start  because I'm oversees and no one seems to know when international students can enter the country. If you're in Australia already, thats's great. If not, you should also consider the border restrictions and whether you're willing to start online. In that case, which school offers you a better support system?

Good luck!

Mar 4, 21 12:35 am  · 
 · 
luvu

RMIT is not in a Go8..

Mar 4, 21 1:47 am  · 
 · 
Vene_tion

No I'm not in Australia. I'll have to travel there. The school would be giving a mix of online/offline teaching.

Mar 4, 21 11:34 am  · 
 · 
secil_t

True, sorry my mistake.

Mar 4, 21 2:58 am  · 
 · 
suhas

Hello, I have similar confusion. I have offer letters from both of these universities for the Master of Urban  Design program, I have scholarship from RMIT (20%) and I am awaiting the University of Sydney's decision on scholarship (unconditional offer letter i have already received). Now I am confused about which university should I choose? I am aware that the University of Sydney is part of a group of eight but RMIT has a better industry and International network. I have the following questions in my mind;

Is studying from a group of eight universities a big deal? Will it really be helpful in the future, for professional practice? 

Kindly help me out with your suggestions

May 29, 21 8:12 am  · 
 · 
secil_t

Hi, congrats on your acceptances! 

Will you be aiming for a remote learning for masters? Australian borders are currently closed, and government signals that they will probably only start to accept people from July 2022. Unless you are an Aussie, not being able to study in a physical studio environment is definitely something to think about. As for the online classes and critiques, also be aware of the time differences as this also causes a concern for many students in the West.

So maybe one of the questions is that how much you're willing to do an online learning and which school provides the best support? Which school has a better online learning platform and maybe flexibility?

Hope this helps, good luck! 

Jun 2, 21 7:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: