Archinect
anchor

Data Analytics in Construction Projects?

Max_F

Hey All,

I am curious about how data analytics can be used in more construction projects. Especially in cases were companies do not have their own data analytic teams.

I understand that data analytics and digitization in construction are becoming more 'popular' trends but I am curious about what everyone's experience with analytic services has been like?

Do you think data analytics on a project basis to get insights into wasted costs, material and time would be useful?

Feb 25, 21 2:26 pm
Non Sequitur

Great, just what we need in CA... more spreadsheets.

Feb 25, 21 2:44 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

Cost, materials, and time are basically all the things that are already tracked, in one way or another. I don't know that it's really possible to properly address this in a Design/Bid/Build approach though. Any information that is contractually obligated will at best be provided though a filter, going either way. And there are enough moving parts that it's often not as clean cut as a data point might suggest. 

Things should be improved, but ultimately, what is most likely to happen is what NS is saying... just more spreadsheets... great. 

Feb 25, 21 4:44 pm  · 
2  · 
t a z

SHoP Construction was offering (up to) 6D services.  Can't remember what that quite meant exactly.  Seems like they aren't a separate business any longer, which may be a sign.

http://web.archive.org/web/201...

Feb 25, 21 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I think we might someday be able to do actual value engineering (as opposed to the blind cost-cutting that is often called "VE" now) if we had better data analytics.

Feb 25, 21 8:09 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

Amen to that. The way it works now is smoke and mirrors, but not like the magical kind....more like arson at a carnival fun hou se.

Feb 26, 21 3:08 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

The data is all there, only need to assign a financial component to your BIM parts, no? (although doesn't say anything about the revenue side of things...)

Feb 26, 21 5:13 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: