Archinect
anchor

Master's in Real Estate

bearloveshoney

Hello guys,

I am currently looking at master's in real estate programs and interested in Harvard and Columbia's programs as their programs are not purely real estate finance. I was once hoping to study M. Arch so I am more interested in design than finance. 

My undergraduate study was in business at an ivy league school and my gpa is around 3.1. The first two years of college, I was hospitalized a few times due to illness but I was able to recover and got pretty good grades during the last two semesters.Would this GPA be considered too low for these schools? If it is, could you recommend me any other school with similar programs or recommend me if there is any way I can offset my low gpa? I took some real estate-related classes and design/art classes as well and I did pretty well on those courses.

For work experience, I interned at an architecture company last summer, but I don't have any full-time experience yet, as I completed my degree last semester. I heard many people have work experiences prior to applying to these programs and would like to know how important they are in terms of admissions. 

Thank you in advance!

Feb 10, 21 10:55 am
awkeytect

Hi. 

If you're more interested in M. Arch why the interest in MSRED programs? 

That aside, its a tough (impossible?) question really, how good is good enough - I don't work in admissions but doubt its a clear line between in and out. Once admitted, one usually doesn't inquire as to why and/or how was admitted. In my experience, my classmates were all over the board relative to skill, experience, drive, goals..no clue on GPA. Those programs are designed for people pivoting career paths so that seems to make sense.

Only one way to find out. Of course finding out will involve a lot of hard work and if you're are looking for a reason not to try you will be able to find many.  

Feb 11, 21 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

MIT and NYU have similar programs though more geared towards professionals seeking a career change - their candidates tend to have a few years of professional experience under their belt.

Feb 11, 21 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
deathbydesign

If you're gunning for architecture + real estate (without the finance part), maybe you should consider going for a professional m.arch + m.up (urban planning) dual program? an m.aud/ms.aud (architecture + urban design) could also be an option but I believe you need a professional degree in architecture first to qualify as this track is usually post-professional. with an additional m.up to your m.arch, the range of subdisciplines is very broad from urban design to policy to real estate, etc. 

Feb 12, 21 12:07 am  · 
 · 

I know a lot of successful real-estate professionals and they do not have a master's in real-estate.  

Is this degree necessary for the career you want?

You may, already, be more than qualified to enter into real-estate/ design developer career and be a successful professional.

Before dropping tens of thousands of dollars and delaying your career why not do a few informational interviews with some people who have the job, or a job very similar to what you want. Ask them what education and training they found to be useful.  

Graduate schools spend millions every year on slick and often deceitful marketing to get you to enroll in expensive degree programs, do your research don't just believe the hype. There is no status prestige gained by being destitute from a huge student loan burden nor can your degree make up lost time and opportunities.

Describe the job you want not the degree you are being sold and then we can give you more precise advice.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Feb 13, 21 10:22 am  · 
 · 
mdhuang94

With a 3.1, I don't think Harvard will take you based on the stats my classmates had who got in to or rejected by GSD. GSAPP is much more forgiving when it comes to stats. You can take joint M. Arch and RED studios at GSAPP if you want more of a holistic, design-driven approach to real estate. 

May 7, 21 8:51 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"Master's" in Real Estate? How can you ban a "Master" bedroom nomenclature and not ban this sexist naming degree? I am traumatized at the very thought. 

May 7, 21 9:56 am  · 
 · 
midlander

you obviously haven't mastered lexical sensitivity you oaf.

May 7, 21 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"Lexical: adjective of or relating to the words or vocabulary of a language, especially as distinguished from its grammatical and syntactical aspects. of, relating to, or of the nature of a lexicon."

Guilty as charged!

May 7, 21 12:43 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

"sexist" 

swing and a miss.

May 7, 21 2:25 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: