Archinect
anchor

Will M.Arch really be more competitive this year?

loafloaf

I applied to a few "prestigious" M.Arch I programs for the upcoming school year and am getting really anxious and nervous waiting for decisions.  I feel like I put all of my eggs into one basket - getting into grad school lol.  I know in times of economic depression people tend to go back to school like in 2008 but it didn't seem like that had a huge effect on school's admit rates (idk maybe I don't know how to read charts lol).  I wonder if in our "unprecedented times" schools will admit less. 

gettin' nervy!! 

Feb 5, 21 11:56 am
flatroof

You will soon find out. Also in tough times schools are more stingy with scholarship $$$.

Feb 5, 21 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Whoknow

we all feel the same way :( however, I assume "prestigious" meaning IVY LEAGUE Schools, which are quite rich, and that I don't think money the issue 4 them. Lol Idk that's my guess.

Feb 5, 21 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
loafloaf

hey go bears! fellow cal alum here :)

Feb 5, 21 11:39 pm  · 
1  · 
Whoknow

Heyyyyyy , go bears! From anonymous alum ^^!

Feb 5, 21 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Important service announcement: No M.arch is worth six-figure debt.

Feb 5, 21 12:14 pm  · 
5  · 

Even more important - a BA and MA are viewed exactly the same for getting your license. Heck, I've never even met an employer who cared if you had BA instead of an MA.

Feb 5, 21 12:38 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

B.arch don't exist anymore north of your border. It's only M.arch here now.

Feb 5, 21 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

It's getting harder to find in the US as well. I know of several schools that are offering a 5 year MA though - same amount of time as a BA.

Feb 5, 21 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
square.

really? the school i teach at is adding a barch, and my march has a robust program.

Feb 5, 21 1:10 pm  · 
1  · 
dd_x

I understand your feelings and frustrations @loafloaf; at this point, most M.Arch applications have been sent out already. What I mean is, we cannot change any documents from the application anymore, and going back and forth about whether this is or not a competitive year to apply will not help your/anyone's case. Think that you did your best within your capabilities and hope you get into the school that fits you the best, and I even say this to even myself, it would only stress you more to think about the results because the reality is, there is nothing you can do at this point but wait.

Feb 5, 21 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

my internal appeasement of thought is " There is always next year!" lol

Feb 5, 21 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
mitbos

I think it's less about admit rates but rather how many people from last year decided to gap or reapply because of online semesters. So for ivies that went full online, the situation is going to be really different from others. The worst case will be half the admitting rate if everyone from last year decided to reapply, which is far from the reality and not going to happen. But as people above said, you should not worry about it now since the applications are pretty much all over.

Feb 7, 21 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Gaidamack

I've applied to the Bartlett, and they just sent this email:

"This year, we have received an even greater number of applications to study with us than anticipated, and it is taking us longer to review them all.

Your application is important to us and we take time to evaluate it carefully. And so, we hope you can bear with us whilst we go through this process. We know this can be unsettling, but we hope you understand."

So I guess the answer is yes, it is more competitive this year. 

Feb 8, 21 3:06 am  · 
 · 
dsh_

Yea got a similar email from Glasgow School of Art stating that they received an "unprecedented amount of applications", so they will not record decisions by the deadline.

Feb 8, 21 6:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: