Archinect
anchor

B.A.E then M. Arch?

yodnamontoya

Would I be able to Major in Architectural Engineering then M. Arch and be an architect? Are there any benefits to getting a B.A.E first or should I just get a B. Arch and then a M. Arch? My main goal is to be able to design but I also do like knowing a lot about the structure of a building, that is why I wanted to do a B.A.E first but if my ultimate goal is design I am not sure which route to take. 

Feb 3, 21 12:13 pm

Get an accredited Bachelors of Architecture if you can find it.  You do not need a Masters of Architecture to become an architect and frankly no employer cares unless you're trying to get a teaching position.  As long as the degree is accredited then a BA and MA have the EXACT same IDP and testing requirements to become an architect - at least in the United States. 

I am not sure about other countries.   

Feb 3, 21 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

BAE is a very broad major. If structure is your interest, you'd be better off dual majoring in architecture and civil engineering if you can.

Like Chad said though, if you want to become an architect... just save your money and get a 5 year degree if you live somewhere that you can get it. It's a little more complicated than he gives it credit for, because a lot of areas in the US don't even have programs that provide that, so it may not be your most cost effective option. 

Feb 4, 21 4:55 am  · 
 · 
natematt

Despite popular mythology, any half-brained architect knows quite a bit about structure. Especially on a conceptual level. It's not magic... most of the time.

Engineers don't just come in later and make the building stand up in spite of the architect. 

Feb 4, 21 5:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: