Archinect
anchor

Changing Majors

Wille024

Hi all, this is my first time posting here.
I am an architecture student at a community college and I am about to transfer. I am going to receive an Architecture Associate in Science Degree and an Architectural CAD Certificate. I love architecture, I enjoy everything about it. But I can’t imagine myself doing it for the rest of my life. It’s weird. I have been struggling with anxiety and panics attacks for many years now. School and new changes have always been the cause of this. So it maybe my anxiety talking (Sorry for venting). I’m at a point now that I don’t know what I want to do with my future. I love the creative and design part of architecture. I was wondering what you all would recommend major/job wise. I know that you can become an architect with only an associates degree. So that’s kind of my back up plan. Thank you for all the help/advice. 

Jan 30, 21 8:30 pm
Wood Guy

Wille, it's going to be hard for anonymous people on an internet forum to give you relevant advice. What do you have for support: parents, career counselor, academic advisor, mentors?

Anxiety and panic attacks mean you are in fight-or-flight mode, so it makes sense that you are considering "flight." But as someone who has frequently chosen flight in the past, at some point you need to fight. Or get our of fight-or-flight mode, which you may not be able to do on your own. 

I know many people, including myself, with a similar dilemma who ended up in the construction field. There are some very well educated carpenters who enjoy the creativity and pride of building, and like moving around all day instead of sitting at a desk dealing with office politics. You have to deal with other things, including weather, heights, tools that can cut your parts off, but it could be something to consider. I did it for ten years after college before focusing on design, and miss aspects of it every day. (Waking up to -5°F this morning makes me appreciate my cozy office job, though.) 

If you are focused on a white-collar career, you'll need to think about and understand your talents and motivations, then learn the skills you need to be successful. 

Jan 31, 21 10:40 am  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

"heights", biggest issue I had doing site inspections!

Feb 1, 21 7:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: