Archinect
anchor

Master of Architecture in Canada portfolio review

zeushimself

Just wondering if people could review my MArch portfolio for admission to a Canadian university. Any and all criticism is much appreciated!

https://issuu.com/tannerulrich...

Jan 24, 21 3:49 am
ty.ro

Your representation skills are excellent. 

The sheet with the facade murals - the upper two options are not very interesting.  Make the bottom one much larger and remove the others.

...that massively cantilevered project in Cork...um...did you not have structural classes?   In order to do that you would need a very thick floor to support the cantilever (if it is even possible...).  I'm surprised you got that far to a rendering without a prof pointing it out.   If your wavy ceiling is somehow concealing massive trusses that you considered - then show a section of this, it will demonstrate your understanding of structure, because right now I'm not sure you understand it from this portfolio.

When I applied I also included other things in my portfolio that I designed outside of classes, which were often more interesting than my school projects.  It could be a good idea...you don't have a lot here, and although they are excellently represented, I don't see what sets you apart from any other applicant.

It's like on a resume, if you have two people who have the same skillset applying for a job, you would take the one who listed their other interests if you find them interesting (hobbies, etc.).  Show them how you think and what else you think about. 

Jan 24, 21 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Appreciate the feedback! I think you're very correct with everything you've said. I do actually have a wall section and details of that project but I did do some adjustments with the cantilever and the wall sections and details don't reflect that. I wanted to include more of this stuff but felt strapped with the 20 page limit I was given. I have an architectural technology background so normally the structural stuff is my strong suit but I wasn't sure whether it was a better idea to showcase that or not. I really did want to include personal projects because I agree with everything you said about that but unfortunately I didn't get around to producing something I thought was worthy and recent enough. If I apply in the future this will be my main focus. Thanks again!

Jan 24, 21 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
olivialb

Hi Tanner! The first project looks amazing. Where are you applying to?  

Jan 25, 21 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Hey Olivia! Thanks so much! I'm applying to the University of British Columbia and the University of Manitoba!

Jan 25, 21 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
zeushimself

bump - honestly disappointed Non Sequitur hasn’t come shit on this yet

Feb 5, 21 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey Zeus... I guess this must of slipped by me. Don't tell my parole office that I've been sleeping on my court-appointed free folio review duties tho. But since you called me out, here's my 2 Canadian pennies' worth:

Feb 5, 21 10:47 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Projects 3 and 4 are interesting... 3 being the strongest in the whole folio with a mix of idea sketches and final products. I don't really see the same level of care in the piano project. 

I do have a few concerns. The first is that you have no concept of drawing layout. 1st floor plans above 2nd floor on one page, then flipped on the next project? (hint, ground is on the bottom, then ascending up the page) Those piano museum plans & sections are also super generic yet you have a exterior rendering? Where are all the sexy interior shots? Why not treat those drawings the same way you did for the other projects? 

Anyways, what this folio lacks is the same as almost everyone else who posts for a review: It lacks those dirty napkin idea sketches. You show some, but they look like they were done after the fact and are definitively not treated with the same importance as the other images.  I also think it is thin with one good project (3), one interesting conversation piece (4), a decent graphic composition (2)... and a bland project 1 as the start.  Maybe if it was not up front I would feel differently.

But, like every other folio, what else do you have?  Got abstract paintings?  A series of pen/ink urban sketches?  Woodwork or other physical sculptures?  Projects are dated from 2017-2018... what else can you show?

Also, what schools have you applied to?

Feb 5, 21 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

haha

Feb 5, 21 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Afriendlyguy... dude asked, I gave an honest response. I've already layed down the realities of academia and the licencing process to this person a while back and looks like he took a bridge bachelor degree in the UK (maybe?) in order to qualify for a M.arch. Good for him for following through and hopefully it pays off but he could be a licensed arch under the syllabus before even graduating this new M.arch had he decided to start that path back in 2017.

Feb 5, 21 11:12 pm  · 
1  · 
zeushimself

Really appreciate the feedback! I know there was still much to be done and I most likely wasn’t ready for applying this year but figured why not. I only
applied to UBC and U of Manitoba. Only really have the option of a few schools with my background unfortunately.

Feb 5, 21 11:46 pm  · 
1  · 
zeushimself

I received a Bachelor of Science in Architecture from a university in Ireland by the way. You’re probably right with what you’ve said about the syllabus but it’s pretty tough to beat the experience
you gain studying / working abroad.

Feb 5, 21 11:48 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: