Archinect
anchor

Personal statement for non traditional student looking to transfer from community college

lisanvenice

I would appreciate input.  My dream school is UCLA, my home town public university, it is not only physically close to where I live I love the program.  I did their summer studio and LOVED it.  I was 6 semesters into a BFA in industrial design when life happened and I spent the next twenty five years fostering and raising kids (a lot of them) and working here and there in the building industry.  Here goes:

Many incoming students in architecture will introduce their interest in the field by saying that they played with Lego building blocks as children.  I did too.  I also had an annoying penchant for deconstructing objects that I found aesthetically pleasing.  At one point, my father had to lock the toolbox to protect their furniture and small appliances.  In other words, ever since I can remember, I have been fascinated with how to solve problems involving three-dimensional space with a view to learning how best to harness my problem solving abilities in order to serve both the spatial aesthetics and function for people and organizations

After a decades long break to raise a family I realized that my drive to Driven to become an architect was stronger than ever driven by a desire to, who can repurpose space and use new technologies and conscious, sustainable design to solve real world problems in aesthetically pleasing and functional ways.  I am particularly interested in urban housing, preservation, creative reuse of existing structures and new materials and prefabrication.  I have taken several learning milestones that prepared me to eventually pursue formal learning to become an architect.  After high school, I interned with Moshe Safdie, worked as a framer and cabinet maker, worked as administrative assistant to a general contractor and as a kitchen and bath designer.   I recognize that Critical thinking skills, practical knowledge of the building process are only a starting point, I need a god command of the design process and I believe UCLA is the best place to acquire that.   I attended the UCLA Jump Start program where I learned that about the balanced program of architectural education, with just the right amounts of history, aquation of technical knowledge and design process.  I would an excellent contractor or developer, but I want more. Professor Sharif said pinned it down for me in a discussion about wanting to explore the more creative and innovative design solutions.  He said that I wanted to learn to “think like a designer instead of a carpenter.”  That’s exactly what I want.

At this point in my learning journey, I realize that my experience has gifted me with persistence and future-oriented perspective that are important tools to any college level education. With the proper due diligence on my options, I have decided to pursue my baccalaureate in architecture at the UCLA Architecture and Urban Design Center, the school in my community with all of the practical benefits I can readily gain learning from an incredibly diverse and erudite faculty of academicians and professional architects who bring their collective experience from all over the world to their work in the campus and the community.  I am particularly impressed with its curriculum providing a balance of history, technology, and hands-on fabrication that emphasize on innovative design.  Its course works will enhance my creative talents with the disciplines that can channel my skills to create designs that any civil or structural engineer can interpret to transition for paper design to real-world structures of beauty and function.    

I recognize that this is only my first step on the road to becoming a licensed Architect. I plan to leverage my creative skills to shape the landscape of  the city I call home and hope that I can begin that journey this fall at UCLA’s School of Architecture and Urban Design.

Jan 18, 21 11:32 pm
Whoknow

I think that you should not say "Many incoming students in architecture will introduce their interest in the field by saying that they played with Lego building blocks as children." I know it is cliche but it is unnessesary

Also, think of a way to tell a story about your unique view or experience toward architecture, but dont list out your interest about the school.

Professor Sharif said pinned it down for me in a discussion about wanting to explore the more creative and innovative design solutions.  He said that I wanted to learn to “think like a designer instead of a carpenter.”  That’s exactly what I want. Tell us what exactly what you want? Go further on this. Be descriptive by explaining it further. 

Its course works will enhance my creative talents with the disciplines that can channel my skills to create designs that any civil or structural engineer can interpret to transition for paper design to real-world structures of beauty and function.    - this sentence need some rethinking or rephrasing, I understand you are trying to say about multidisciplinary in architecture.

Overal, I think that your sop is a bit general, dont try to impress the school by how much you know about the school, rather show them how much you understand yourself as a designer. 

Jan 19, 21 1:08 am  · 
 · 
lisanvenice

Thank you

Jan 19, 21 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Whoknow

Your welcome! One more thing is that you mentioned, "I was 6 semesters into a BFA in industrial design when life happened, and I spent the next twenty-five years fostering and raising kids (a lot of them) and working here and there in the building industry" I think this could be honestly your genuine opening statement and went into depth with it. What was your thought process and feeling, hardship in these 25 years, and what makes you decide to pursue architecture. It could be very inspiring.

Jan 19, 21 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
lisanvenice

Life happening: My new husband had a cancer scare and needed surgery, my withdrawal put me on academic probation.  Instead of coming back in the fall we prepped for our move to LA where hubby had a job offer.  Also that fall our first foster/adopt baby was placed.  He was a drug impacted premmie and his care was pretty all consuming.  He was the first of six fosters, four four of whom we adopted.  THAT is most of what I did for 25 year, working from time to time when I could.  I only went back to school to learn to use AUTOCAD to help with my kid's tuition but learning Sketchup, Revit, CAD and taking a three d studio reminded me of just how much I missed design.  For the first time in 26 years I was doing something for me, not because someone else needed me but something exciting, intellectually stimulating and just plain fun.  The story I tell up top about taking shit apart is because figuring out how the egg beater fits into your hand or how the curve of a chair is just right has fascinated me since I was a child.  You know how when you walk into a space and it just makes you exhale, put your hand to your chest and smile?  How does that happen?  Architects know.  It's like mystical knowledge that improves lives. It's wizard shit. I love my kids, I really do and my dedication to them was not obligation it was my calling for a quarter century but I've got another 25 years before I'm too old and infirmed to climb up on rooftops and under footing or too senile to learn the newest software and  in the time I have left I really want to be one of the spatial wizards.  

There, that's of how a 56 year old black lady who couldn't say "no" to another kid or dog went back to school and decided to be an Architect

Jan 19, 21 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

there you go, beautiful personal statement, edit it down without using "cursing vocab" then I think it should be fine. " You know how when you walk into space and it just makes you exhale, put your hand to your chest and smile" I like the expression toward space experimenting here, pretty engaging. Good Luck

Jan 19, 21 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: