Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Review

Buja

Hi everyone,

I am from Canada, from an Interior Design background. I am applying for the M.Arch program for this Fall, and I would really love some help with my portfolio last minute. If someone can please review it for me, I’m all up for helpful criticism. Keep in mind that I still have to fix the table of contents page as I was thinking of adding more contents. Also if I should add more work, or remove some work, please advise me. 

Please follow this link to view my progress: 

https://issuu.com/bushraj/docs/test

Thank you.

Jan 8, 21 1:31 pm
Non Sequitur

What schools are you applying to? staying within Canadian institutions?

Obvious comments first, drop the picture from the CV and fix the text boxes.  Full justification is a terrible look whet not using full sentences... see the unequal spacing in skills.  Same thing with hyphenated text.  You're applying as someone with a design background therefore treat your folio layout as a design exercise.  This includes the CV stuff but also applied to all your text boxes.

Like everyone else that posts their stuff for review, it needs a great deal of curating.  Too much stuff and too small.  No one is going to take the time and zoom in on tiny plans and sections, they will just be ignored.   Clean them up, get rid of text and show us only the important bits.  This folio is to show people how you think through design problems.  It is not a grocery list of every task you've ever completed for your assignments.

Anyways, I don't find the last section of makeup pictures particularly useful, especially if you have other projects to include.  I would definitively remove those hand drawings in the last page tho.  Those do not belong in a grad folio.

Jan 8, 21 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Buja

Hello, this was very helpful, I appreciate you taking out the time. I am applying to Canadian universities only.

Jan 8, 21 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

Hey Bushra!

First off, I’ll say that I agree with most of the points stated by Non Sequiter. I would definitely reconsider the full justification of the skills etc., you can see how nice it looks on your list of schools/work, imagine if those were full justification...

I love the first project, I think the renderings are wonderfully colored and the lighting really speaks to what the project is about. That being said, I agree with what Non Sequiter stated about the sizes of images. Pages 6-7 are very very busy, those tiny plans are very hard to read, especially next to those bird silhouettes, it’s just too much. Additionally, while I appreciate the sketches of the hands showing how you got that curved form, the plan/diagram that’s showing how it’s used (with the green lines) is too far away for it to immediately make sense. consider moving it closer, or scrapping that plan entirely and laying the green lines over the larger plan (which would give you more room!)

Pages 8-9 are also quite busy; i don’t think the wood sample square needs to be quite so large. Most likely, reviewers are not going to read all that text, so maybe just a short, bold title under the wood to tell me what it is would get the point across quicker.

I think pages 10-11 are beautiful, and they’re the example you should use when I say the other pages need more space. The spread is easy to understand, and while maybe there’s a bit too much text, you can use the layout or at least the amount of white space as a guide for spreading out your other spreads.

I feel more or less the same way about the other projects, so i won’t comment too much on them. The one thing I do want to say though is to consider how you’re using that grey contrasting page. The first time we see it, it has a rendering laid over it which I think helps draw your attention and creates a nice visual contrast. however, you use it again later but it’s covered in text and diagrams, and it doesn’t have the same effect. One suggestion I have is to look at the page viewer in Acrobat (or whatever you’re using) and see how everything reads together. you might start to see things like this when you can compare the pages more easily.

Also, if taking the makeup/photography pages out in order to make room for your other projects to spread out, that’s fine too !

Hope this helps!

Jan 8, 21 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
Buja

Hi Daniel,

· 
Buja

Hi Daniel,

· 
Buja

Thank you so much for the feedback, and I really appreciate that you took the time out. I will definitely be using your suggestions to improve my layouts.

Jan 8, 21 10:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: