Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Critique

Whoknow

Hi all, 

I have asked a few people here and there on this forum regarding my portfolio criticism and made changes according to those comments. And this is my final version of the portfolio applying to GSD Upenn, GSAPP, Yale, and UCB. This year cycle has already passed, just in case I might reapply next year to more schools because I've heard this year is extremely competitive. I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Here's the link: https://issuu.com/afriendlyguy...

Jan 6, 21 7:29 pm

Nice work!

Jan 6, 21 7:56 pm  · 
1  · 
Whoknow

Thank you

Jan 7, 21 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
deathbydesign

I personally enjoyed yours out of the ones I've seen so far posted by other users and in the MArch Applications thread. Overall, it's great material and you picked really interesting projects to feature, and the representation is pretty unique (it's almost as if I'm not looking at an architectural drawing but like a painting in some of your projects/spreads). The layout is also neatly done, concise, and cohesive. It'll be interesting to see this in print + a couple of pages that elaborates each project a little more. My only comment is probably why did you not apply to Princeton and Cornell too? I think you have a good shot at all the schools you are applying. Where do you want to go the most though? 

And don't be too bothered by the idea that this year or cycle is the most competitive. In fact, be excited. This cycle is probably the most interesting pool of applications the schools are receiving in years (yours as an example), especially from those who never got to apply to their dream schools because of the GRE factor or some other requirement (or schools who missed out on outstanding applicants because of such and such). Good luck!

Jan 7, 21 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Whoknow

Thank you for your kind comments, I actually applied there, but I did not do much research on that school because it was a last-minute thing, and my printed version came out with line weight issues, so not much hope on that. But I like Yale and GSD most and pretty in love with some of the studio approach there. ( got a couple of classmates went to both )

Jan 7, 21 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
cbkk

Really beautiful work...agree with deathbydesign to not to be too concerned with the rumors floating around that this cycle is the most competitive.

My one suggestion - and I realize this comes down to personal preference - is to make your intro spreads for each new project a little clearer and indicative that a new project has started. Right now it seems every intro is a little bit different than the one before it. You have really amazing (and large) imagery throughout the entire portfolio, but because of that it's a little difficult to tell when one project stops and the next one starts at first glance.

But otherwise great work, good luck!

Jan 7, 21 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Whoknow

"Intro spreads for each new project a little clearer and indicative that a new project has started. Right now, it seems every intro is a little bit different than the one before it." Nice catch; I have not thought of it until you pointed it out. I know it's a bit inconsistent. Thank you so much. I've seen your portfolio on the other thread, it looks very professional, and every project is well executed with beautiful drawings. I am sure you will get into your desire programs, and good luck!

Jan 7, 21 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
holybelly

I really like the images, and presentation as a whole for the portfolio.

In terms of formatting, I would suggest keeping the layout of the opening pages consistent - having text with a hand-drawn parti sketch below and a larger opening image on the right. You seem to have done this for all projects, except for 'Shear the Sheep' where the text becomes part of the image. In addition, the parti sketches are great and wherever possible I would make them part of your 'opening spread' -- for instance, in your first academic project - I'd have the plan oblique sketch you drew switched with the hallway perspective you have underneath the text. Otherwise, it's all very nice!

Good luck - I also applied to Yale SOA, and Princeton this year too :) The printing process was a pain for Princeton haha. 

Jan 7, 21 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

Honestly, I feel you; the printing process is a pain in the .... I am glad it was over. Not only that, it's not cheap, I tried to print mine with the cheapest paper quality available. Thank you and Gluck to you as well.

Jan 7, 21 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
KingGizzard

Nice work ! really enjoyed all the content and the drawings presented. I do agree with @ambb_abhi and @cbkrmr tho that the layout of the portfolio could have been improved, meaning you could have had much clearer break pages and a better/more organized layout. Right now, each project's initial information is tucked away to the top left corner, and therefore makes it harder for the reader to identify the beginning or end of a set of work. Second, the way in which some of the images (i.e page 12/13) have been layed out seems cluttered and disorganized at times, this is just my opinion though. Needless to say, I think the work speaks for itself and really loved the drawings in pgs 22/23. 

On another note, are you applying to the M.Arch 1 or M.Arch 2 program ? I am also applying for the 2021 cycle at some of the schools you mentioned. Best of luck !

Jan 8, 21 2:40 am  · 
 · 
Whoknow

I am applying for m.arch 1. Thank you, yes I also couldnt agree more. Are you applying to m.arch 1?

Jan 8, 21 2:46 am  · 
 · 
KingGizzard

I'm applying for the M.Arch 2 at the GSD and Yale.

Jan 8, 21 2:54 am  · 
1  · 
Whoknow

Gluck!

Jan 8, 21 3:03 am  · 
 · 
Koww

I think this work is already at graduate level... you could skip school and save a few years of your life :)

Jan 8, 21 4:00 am  · 
 · 
ujs01

Lovely work, wanted to see what the outcomes of your application were like?

Jul 12, 21 2:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: