Archinect
anchor

Portfolio questions, need advice

lesternegron

Hello! 

I'm currently applying to GSD, GSAPP, RISD, Pratt and Clemson (where I'm doing my undergrad)  and I need advice on some questions:

Some of them have advised not to put more than 1 collaborative projects in the portfolio, yet both semesters of my Senior year was collaborative and 1 semester of my junior year, Should I take out 2 of those collaborative projects?

If I were to reduce my pages in my portfolio, would it be a good idea to only include 1 project of each year in order to qualify with the page length? (this is easy for me to do as my portfolio layout is divided by sections) (and also, I decided to remove one of my first year projects as I'm not a fan of it)

And this question is related to the one before, in pages my full portfolio is 44, but when exporting as spreads it is 23 (not counting the cover, page of content and back page) would a spread count as only 1 page or no?

if anyone would like to see my portfolio heres a link: https://issuu.com/lester_negro...

Thank you in advance!

Jan 1, 21 5:08 pm
autofireunit

Yes 1 spread is count as 2 page. so if websites says 30 pdf clicks (spreads), then you can have 60 facing pages

Regarding the first question. The schools say this because they don't want you to put too many team competition or professional works, as they need to see your skill. If the projects still show your ability, you can keep them. If the websites clearly say no, then cut some out.

regarding to which project to keep. it is obvious, you always need to keep your strongest work.

best

Jan 1, 21 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
clevelandcynic

My application portfolio had 4 studio projects and 2 research projects. Of those 6 total projects, 5 were "collaborative" (in groups of 2-4 people). Only 1/6 projects was an individual studio design piece. I was accepted everywhere I applied and several schools offered me large scholarship packages. To be fair, the only one from your list I applied to was Clemson.

I would recommend showing your absolute best work, even if it's collaborative. HOWEVER, be very explicit about what parts of the project are your work and what parts are attributed to others. Try to include drawings / models / representation that you produced individually and only include other people's work when it's necessary to understand the project as whole. If you can't individually claim a big contribution to the project, then I would leave it out.

I mentioned in my personal statement that I was happy most of my work was collaborative. I believe it gave me the opportunity to expose myself to lots of different design ideas and workflows and pushed me to be more critical/challenging towards my own thinking. There are ways you can address it in a positive light if you're nervous.

Jan 1, 21 7:45 pm  · 
1  · 
nastronaut

i think you should cut it down a lot, the work is very repetitive. and the last project should probably go first, it's the most interesting! and do u have any artwork or something more instinctual (sketching, painting), as opposed to all the arch projects? this is assuming ur applying to m.arch 1 programs ofc

Jan 2, 21 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: