Archinect
anchor

Last Year's Applicant Offering Last Minute Portfolio & Essay Reviews

autofireunit

As the title suggests, I spent my final days of 2019 on this forum while finishing up my portfolio. I applied to a bunch of US MArch programs and was fortunately accepted to all of them. Thus, if you are applying to any schools in the United States, I believe I could help you to decern some last-minute issues and give you some decent feedback. If you have any short questions, I can try to answer them too.

If you are interested, just put an Issuu link down below. You can also msg me in private if you really don't want to do that. I wouldn't disclose any information sent to me privately. I will try my best to get back to you asap.

Just doing this for charity. Happy New Year everyone! 

Dec 31, 20 7:18 pm
Whoknow

thank for your advice! Great conversation!

Jan 1, 21 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

300 words requirement but i have 304 is that okay?

Jan 1, 21 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
autofireunit

Should be just fine. No one is gonna check your word count.

Jan 2, 21 12:15 pm  · 
1  · 
Whoknow

2nd question, i put one of my work project but i kinda twist it toward my own representation, do you think in that way show my skill better?

Jan 1, 21 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
autofireunit

It is tough. Work example usually means group work. Your own individual academic works are more effective.

Jan 2, 21 12:17 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

great way to get people sending you their portfolio or letters...now you don’t have to even try that hard OP, when are you going to submit? Because anyone that submitted last year and got in will be way too fucking busy to make time for this shit, no?

Jan 2, 21 9:44 am  · 
autofireunit

If someone has been checking grad school posts here for some time they would know I was one of the only full riders to GSD and MIT. I'm here sorely for volunteering because people have been PMing me through this forum for reviews.

Jan 2, 21 12:22 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

Awesome! Sorry I’m such a skeptical asshole (sometimes). I don’t check the grad school posts, they dont show up in the forum, but good for you, not all heroes wear capes apparently...will downvote my post accordingly

Jan 2, 21 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
autofireunit

The suspicion is reasonable. NW, always safe than sorry

Jan 2, 21 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Mimare

I got a legitimate response from the OP through mail, so I have to agree with ja.bcn09 

Jan 2, 21 1:53 pm  · 
2  · 
florang

Same here, OP provided detailed feedback. Thanks so much!

Jan 3, 21 7:23 am  · 
 · 
dins

OP?

Jan 4, 23 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

"original poster"

Jan 4, 23 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
DustFlâneur

Hello. I have a quick question. As per the portfolio guidelines issued by the GSD, it is mentioned that there is a 30 page limit which "refers to individual pages in your PDF file, not spreads. If you wish for certain pieces of content to be viewed at the same time, we suggest putting that content on the same page, which would count as one page." 

When exporting as spreads the very first page appears as half of the size of the spread, so it becomes visible that the pages have been exported as spreads. And, It seems as though they do not want to see the spread format, so is it wise to make the first page the same size as others? 

Thanks!

Jan 3, 21 10:07 am  · 
 · 
autofireunit

So I set my InDesign as "spreads" instead of "facing pages". Check your setting. My first page is my cover, which includes front and back, so it is a full spread instead of a half. Basically, I would suggest you put two facing pages as one PDF spread, and you only export in pdf spreads instead of pages. I don't think they care about spread vs pages as they just want "30 clicks" in adobe acrobat when viewing. Correct me if I'm wrong because I followed last year's guidelines.

Jan 3, 21 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
dins

Hi, any suggestions about the GSD Essays? 

Especially about this one "Please tell us about a work of architecture or an experience in the built environment that you find engaging and why." Limit words 300

I am thinking to treat it as a personal statement. Which means include why I chose architecture, my architecture background both academic and professional, why GSD and which courses.

Did you included any specific courses in this essay? Did you mention any other activities? Or any other "stuff" worth mentioning?

Jan 4, 23 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
mrcutout

IMO you are unable to cover all of those points within 300 words. The way I understand the intention behind this prompt is that they simply just want to know your sensitivity to the space around you, how you interpret your spatial experience, and how it ties back to your interest in their program. At least this is my personal approach to the question.

Jan 4, 23 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
sumedhgangurde

hey man any highly recommended university you wanna suggest for m.arch.

Also what all unis you got into? If you don't mind.

I just finished applying to pratt and austin. Will be applying to rest. Ditched GSD and Gatech cause of low toefl score than required .

Jan 6, 23 2:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: