Archinect
anchor

Any 3-year doctor degree?

ANNN

The only program i know is the DDes. Is there any more 3-year doctor programs?

Dec 30, 20 2:06 am
Non Sequitur

great, just what we need, shorter doctorate degrees and more Wankers with phDs and no actual architecture experience. Why deal with reality when you can remain a student perpetually?

Dec 30, 20 8:05 am  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Gotta feed the academic machine so it produces more PhDs to teach more PhDs and make more PhDs.

Dec 30, 20 8:30 am  · 
2  · 
apscoradiales

DD for bragging right only. Otherwise, useless.

Dec 30, 20 9:56 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I don’t know what people have against PhD’s in the field of architecture, I’d love to be able to afford one...

Dec 30, 20 10:05 am  · 
3  · 
ODMA

Opposition to PhD's is based on an assumption that the limit to the scope of architecture is sitting down at a desk and drawing buildings all day. Yawn!

Dec 30, 20 1:08 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

But it's a big fucking part of it. .

Dec 30, 20 1:34 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

some people remain cuddled in academia because a hammer and a circular saw are too scary. It may be a personality issue.

Dec 30, 20 1:43 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I remember talking about the phd route when I was finishing my M.arch... I briefly considered it but then I figured I'd rather own a house and have an adult professional life instead of remaining a perpetual student.

Dec 30, 20 1:50 pm  · 
1  · 
ODMA

@Non Sequitar, I'm not sure what university you went to, but there's a distinction between being a student and a researcher, particularly in non-US universities where PhD's aren't taught.

Dec 30, 20 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ando, my academic credentials are solid.

Dec 30, 20 2:00 pm  · 
1  · 
ODMA

I'd recommend taking a look at the PhD work in Research Architecture at Goldsmiths, University of London. They are demonstrating the strengths that architectural intelligence can bring to the world outside of buildings.

Dec 30, 20 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No thank you, never heard of the place. Plenty of time to do this level of work within a March. No need to alienate kids even further with a PhD carrot.

Dec 30, 20 3:07 pm  · 
1  · 
ODMA

Enjoy your bubble.

Dec 30, 20 3:57 pm  · 
bowling_ball

I only know a few people with relevant PhDs and all of them are idiots. Straight up. They wouldn't have lasted a week in an office, but couldn't go back home to tell mommy and daddy that they spent tens of thousands of dollars on an education they couldn't use, so instead they go back to school to be perpetual students (they may teach some courses, but nobody needs a PhD for that). And if still go ahead with it and can't find a job in academia after defending your thesis, you're fucked. If there's a place for that achievement, I haven't heard of it.

Dec 30, 20 4:52 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

bubble? not here, not even close.

Dec 30, 20 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Watch out now, Ben Shapiro gonna think you're a fake Doctor

Dec 30, 20 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

"...randomised

I don’t know what people have against PhD’s in the field of architecture, I’d love to be able to afford one..."

Worked with two guys who had a PhD in Architecture. Oddly, both were European, and both got their degrees over there - different schools, though.

One was a nice, humble guy; the other a total prick who thought he was the smartest in the company, and that he was Go'd right hand man simply because of his degree. Treated everyone around him as a slave, 'til I spoke to him in simple, construction workers English, if you get my drift.

Sometimes, the degree goes to their head, and that's something I "have against".

Dec 30, 20 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

my own anecdote: i work with a woman who has a phd from her home country - she published a book on shopping center design in east asia which is apparently the textbook to reference on the subject. she's a quiet pleasant colleague and particularly talented designer. i don't know if it was a particularly useful career move for her as her talent is enough to get a good job, but she seems to get some benefit of reputation to speak at conferences. which if you like doing i guess go for it

Dec 30, 20 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

i do think there is a cultural aspect to this that makes phds in architecture much more respectable in continental europe and east asia, where spending extra time to explore an idea is considered valuable experience in itself.

Dec 30, 20 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

the other architecture phd i know was my classmate - one who wasn't cut out for working in an office environment and went right back to school, and never left. she's a professor in the humanities department of an ivy league school now, so that worked out for her. humble and down to earth in personality, but very aggressive at arguing ideas.

Dec 30, 20 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: