Archinect
anchor

Referee not answering my emails anymore.

Gaidamack

I already submitted my MArch application. One reference uploaded his recommendation letter, but the second one just disappeared. 

I have contacted him at the beginning of October to request a letter from him, he said he will do it gladly. I sent him all the information he needed by the beginning of November, and he got the link to upload the letter at to the university at the end of November. 

It's been a month and he isn't responding my to my emails anymore. I sent him very polite reminders twice with 10 days between them. I'm extremely worried. 

Does anyone else had an experience with a disappearing referee?

Dec 23, 20 3:29 am
Wood Guy

Good training for the real world--sometimes people disappear, for good reasons or otherwise. It sounds like you should have followed up with a phone call weeks ago, and/or found a backup person. Who else can you ask for help?

Dec 23, 20 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

pick better references?  Did this person actually know you well enough to write the letter? Methinks not if they can't be bothered to.  That or pick up the phone and call them. Emails are too easy to ignore/forget.

Dec 23, 20 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Gaidamack

He knows me well. He was the head of school and my studio tutor in a couple of studios including my final thesis. In addition to a couple of small courses an seminar I did with him.

He is a "world renowned" name or whatever academic call themselves when they have far reach. He is the ideal referee. 

I was wondering whether sending him message to his personal phone is acceptable or it will be seen as I'm intruding his personal life? 

Not sure how academic etiquette works to be honest, and I hate to bother people who are "doing me a favor". 

Dec 23, 20 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

In general, the older you are, the less a phone call is considered intrusive. Pick up the phone and call them. Not a text, actual spoken words.

Dec 23, 20 10:53 am  · 
4  · 
randomised

Maybe your reference is preoccupied with, you know, all what’s going on right now in the world...

Dec 23, 20 11:34 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

If he was your studio advisor for your thesis, he pretty much owes you a recommendation (unless you really sucked, in which case he would definitely owe you an explanation of why he won't recommend you). Hopefully nothing terrible has happened to him to cause his radio silence, but you should definitely not feel bad about giving him a call.

Dec 23, 20 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Ted Lasso is busy at the moment.

Dec 23, 20 11:11 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

It happens. You have to be polite but persistent - you're not the only item on his plate right now. Also have a backup ready in case he doesn't follow through. I had a similar experience, with the referee submitting his material after the deadline. Maybe he loathed the schools.

Dec 23, 20 11:48 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: