Archinect
anchor

// Portfolio Crit Wanted \\

Wall-E

Hi Guys

Looking forward to your comments on the Portfolio. Feel free to add anything that could help me in improving it for application for m.arch.

As a fun exercise, please rate (out of/10) with how can it be improved and whats missing?

Would love to hear your views. cheers. thanks for your time

https://www.yumpu.com/en/docum...

Dec 11, 20 11:02 am
Non Sequitur

Which schools did you end up applying to?

At first glance you really need to kill those hyphenated text boxes... and pick one paragraph justification format.

Content wise, it's better than the average folio we get in these types of posts but I feel the attention drops as you get further into the spreads.  Certainly some of those progress sketches could be enlarged and the lesser ones removed?  Those brown smudged ones (project 3?) can go away since they look very amateurish.

I do really like the plan drawing at the start of project 5.  I would tend to prioritise that drawing instead of the black squares and whatnot that follow.  Also that fengsuay diagram in the beginning makes me uncontrollably angry.  It's nonsense woo to start with and it detracts from the rest of the spread.  It's like a student pinning up a colour wheel during a final review to explain their choice of complementary colours.  

Dec 11, 20 11:17 am  · 
 · 
Wall-E

Hi @Non Sequitur. Thank you so much for detailed reply. I think all your comments make sense to me. I looked at them twice. In terms of projects do you think these are good to go? I have few professional projects as well which are more exciting but I don't want to add more sheets for professional. Also in terms of schools, i have big hopes and will apply to major schools in US.

Dec 11, 20 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

were you not asking for advice on Canadian schools a while back? If so... don't discount them (if you're CAD resident). You should only consider US schools if you get a full ride. It's not worth the debt. As for your question, some technical drawings help but grad school applications should but effort on demonstrating your creative approach to design. Good sketches help, especially when placed next to the final product, but you also don't want to throw everything you've ever done into a book either. Not everything needs a wall of text either. A few full-bleed sketches + nice 3D images and context text will be better than 10 tiny scribbles.

Dec 11, 20 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Wall-E

Hi..Yeah..I have been looking at canadian schools as well but I am not sure about them as they give aid based on purely merit. I have interests in Computational design and I haven't added those projects in the folio yet. One school that has a programme in computational design is Daniels. I am also interested in working with Timber and its fabrication. Daniels has a timber institute that is doing some good projects in Canada and I see a lot of timber projects coming up in Canada as well. But there aren't any other schools in Canada focusing on this and as an international applicant the fee for 1 year is $48k which is somewhat similar to other schools that am looking like Bartlett. So it is not making sense to apply to Canada

Dec 12, 20 3:06 am  · 
 · 
square.

overall really nice (content wise). my biggest issue is the cluttered nature of the pages.. letting your images breathe will go a long way

Dec 11, 20 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Wall-E

Hi..I am struggling to put drawings to show the idea. less drawings would mean less data. Any drawings you suggest that can be removed?

Dec 11, 20 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
square.

self-editing is key to succeeding in architecture.

Dec 11, 20 1:47 pm  · 
1  · 

is this portfolio for graduate school?

Dec 11, 20 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

my bad, I think your portfolio is nice.

Dec 11, 20 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

my bad, I think the question would be where are you applying for grad school. I think your Page 3-4 and 8 are very strong. and are you facing the pages limits? Sorry, I accidently press enter on my comment lol

Dec 11, 20 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: