Archinect
anchor

Shibaura House help

123arch_

Hello, does someone know the dimensions of Shibaura House (SANAA) ?

I need them for a project.

Nov 23, 20 8:53 pm
monosierra

There are dimensioned drawings all over Google for God's sake.

Nov 23, 20 9:06 pm  · 
1  · 
123arch_

No there aren’t. I searched everywhere. I only found some dimensions, but every site has different dimensions.

Nov 24, 20 5:21 am  · 
Non Sequitur

Use a ruler and basic math. Very easy to figure this stuff out.

Nov 24, 20 5:54 am  · 
 · 
123arch_

This is 1:100, but in what kind of dimensions? What kind of paper (A3, A2..?) ???

Nov 24, 20 6:04 am  · 
Non Sequitur

Try harder. It's very easy to find out enough dims from simply googling. I even found, within 4 seconds, an El Croquis publication with an actual published technical floor plan and section... very clear dims. You won't learn shit by giving up and crowd sourcing your homework.

Nov 24, 20 8:13 am  · 
1  ·  1
kenchiku

El Croquis is a publication every arch student should know.

Nov 25, 20 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

if you can’t figure this one out, you’re not going to make it your first year out of school. 

Nov 24, 20 7:11 am  · 
3  ·  2
Non Sequitur

This is why I'm not worried about the next gen of students taking over our jobs.

Nov 24, 20 8:08 am  · 
2  ·  1
Koww

the students that are going to take your jobs are not studying architecture

Nov 25, 20 12:56 am  · 
1  · 
monosierra

The very first page of Google images has plans with dimensions. 

Nov 24, 20 7:36 am  · 
1  ·  1
Non Sequitur

Agree. I also found enough drawings with dimensions within 8 seconds of using the 'goog.

Nov 24, 20 8:07 am  · 
1  ·  1
123arch_

You guys are so rude. You know nothing about students, the hours we study, how much effort we made to go to university, the exams we had to take! you think all of us are stupid what’s wrong with people like you 
I just asked a simple question! It’s not that hard to get a nice answer, it costs literally nothing to be nice to people.

Good luck dealing with customers when you have such attitude. And yes next gen students will take over your jobs, luckily they are way smarter and they don’t have the tragic attitude you have towards human beings. 

It looks like disrespect needs to be dealt with disrespect 

Nov 24, 20 8:33 am  · 
Non Sequitur

Clearly you don't understand effort. We all found what you were looking for within minutes. You only have yourself to blame.

protip: school is easy.  dealing with reality is the real challenge.

Nov 24, 20 8:41 am  · 
5  · 
monosierra

You showed no effort or desire to learn - you just wanted the answer, no questions asked. Now, if you'd explained what research you've done (Clearly not even a Google search) and what you're missing despite what you've found - it would be a totally different conversation. To ask other people to do your work is rude and detrimental to your studies. We told you to Google as the answer is right there. You probably went to Pinterest instead.

Nov 24, 20 8:48 am  · 
2  · 

You didn’t think to take a part of the plan that you can reasonably guesstimate the width, such as a door, and scale it from that. That’s why we’re giving you crap - that’s a first year, first semester precedent study thing.

Nov 24, 20 10:51 am  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Josh, that train sailed down the highway a long time ago. You missed the party.

Nov 24, 20 10:54 am  · 
 · 

I’m always late to the party.

Nov 24, 20 11:01 am  · 
 · 
123arch_

I’m actually
in first semester

Nov 24, 20 11:04 am  · 
 · 
123arch_

First of all I am a university student, not a school student. 
Second, I found some dimensions after hours of searching. I just can’t find all of them, for example the dimensions of the 4th floor. If you found them, you can just post them instead of blaming me.

I obliviously googled, don’t treat me like I stupid this is ridiculous.

It would just be really helpful if you could post the photos of the dimensions (not Japan dimensions I can’t understand, I don’t have that much knowledge). The dimensions I found on google were only some basic ones, but I need more and I can’t find them 

Nov 24, 20 8:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sorry, that's for you to do (hint: technical drawings are often published in journals and periodicals, search your school's library subscriptions... any half decent arch program carries dozens of these types of papers). 

If you can't figure this out after "hours" of searching, then perhaps university is not the best use of your time. See my point(s) above above next gen entering the profession. This is a prime example as to why that is true.

Nov 24, 20 9:00 am  · 
 · 
123arch_

​ok whatever I’m not responding to your negative comments anymore, I obviously know my worth

Since you can’t post anything it looks like you didn’t find anything

Nov 24, 20 9:09 am  · 
 · 
123arch_

Thanks for the hint though

Nov 24, 20 9:10 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Oh, I certainly did find something. Same with everyone else here (Look up El Croquis' 2015 run, I closed the browser so don't have the actual publication issue anymore). You only need some dimensions to figure out the rest. Like I mentioned up on top, use basic math and a ruler to fill in the blanks. Scale images in photoshop if they don't line up. This is the exercise.  Damn, I do not miss teaching studio.

I'm guessing you're doing what we've all pretty much did in our first year of studio: reproduce drawings for an existing famous(ish) house. The challenge is understanding how to read drawings and deduct the missing information. You're far too lazy to see this if you think you can just search or ask random anonymous wankers online to get everything.

Nov 24, 20 9:15 am  · 
1  · 
123arch_

Yes that’s what I’m doing. I’m obviously not lazy, I found what you said about the El Croquis and I found the dimensions about the floors except the 4th floor.

Nov 24, 20 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

there is enough info to deduct the 4th floor. literally only grade 8 math skills required.

Nov 24, 20 9:26 am  · 
 · 
123arch_

The problem is that the magazines I find need to be purchased. Im not sure if I’m looking right, do I have to pay for them?

Nov 24, 20 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Not if you go through your university's library records.

Nov 24, 20 9:30 am  · 
1  · 
123arch_

No im not talking about maths

Nov 24, 20 9:32 am  · 
 · 
123arch_

Anyway thank you!

Nov 24, 20 9:33 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

1:100 can be in km on tp, really doesn't matter...you have the scale so you have all the dimensions of whatever is drawn.

Nov 24, 20 9:06 am  · 
1  · 
123arch_

Ok thank you!

Nov 24, 20 9:07 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

"You know nothing about students, the hours we study, how much effort we made to go to university, the exams we had to take!"

I honestly thought this was a sarcastic post by someone other than the OP.  

Because none of us were ever students and had to figure out how to draw some random existing building (Mine was the AEG Turbine factory).

Suck it up buttercup.  School (and yes, it's fucking school.  You can call it university if you want; it makes no difference.  You need to get off this high horse.  Before long, someone with a two year degree and 20 years of experience in the industry is going to make you look like a fool) is difficult at times.  And that difficulty will only prepare you slightly for the industry you might enter. 

I've had to sit and count brick on grainy pictures to do as built drawings before, and you're complaining about having to reproduce a very well document building.  It doesn't bode well for the future. 

Nov 24, 20 12:15 pm  · 
3  · 
Almosthip

I counted brick yesterday because I miss a critical dimension when I was doing my site visit. I have pictures I took of the exterior face, in no way do I want to drive the 5 hours back to site. Love HD photos we have now a days

Nov 24, 20 12:22 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Ahip, And you did not think about creating a thread asking if anyone had dimensions of your building?

Nov 24, 20 12:32 pm  · 
1  · 
senjohnblutarsky

We had a guy decide videos were better than photos for documenting existing conditions. Every time I find myself needing to count units of some material on one of his projects, I nearly blow a gasket. The videos are like watching the Blair Witch Project, and there is no way in hell you can count from a still frame.

Nov 24, 20 12:38 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I like it when first time posters change their avatar name after getting reamed out for their incompetence.

Nov 24, 20 12:34 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

i think for students the hardest part is understanding the priority of information in completing various work. real life is full of imprecision and imperfect knowledge, which frustrates inexperienced students looking for a clean right answer. we don't know the assignment here but can guess it is to produce some presentation of a case study with overall dimensions. it won't matter at all if you describe the house as 16.5x16.5m or 15550x15480mm. no one cares and no one will check.

for the op, don't let the search for complete information slow you down from doing your work - you will never find perfect complete information. make a reasonable judgement based on what you've already found and move on.

Nov 25, 20 7:33 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: