Archinect
anchor

MArch I programs - which are most balanced?

Luques

A question for those of you who are familar with current MArch I programs:  which schools do you feel offer an (equal) balance of creative design and practical skills?  Or provide the opportunity to tailor a program in this way.

Nov 23, 20 12:11 pm
Non Sequitur

Giving us a little more geographical context would help.  Perhaps specify which country(ies) you're interested in is a good start... and at the very least, narrow it down to one hemisphere.  Education quality and professional rules vary greatly.

Nov 23, 20 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Luques

Yes, good point, thanks NS for asking - looking at US only.

Nov 23, 20 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

What kind of practical experience are you looking for? It runs the gamut from actual detailing to programming to advanced geometry and building technology.

Nov 23, 20 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Luques

I'm not a point where I can state which areas I am looking for specifically. I am interesed in hearing about the range & depth of practical experience covered in different programs, so would appreciate any comments on strenghts and weakness of various programs.

Nov 23, 20 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Well Yale does run the Vlock building program, which is pretty damn unique among M.Arch I programs. Others might be able to speak on design-build equivalents at other schools (I don't think the Rural Studio is part of an M.Arch I but correct me if I'm wrong). Sci Arc seems to be a pretty good spot if you want to carve out a career beyond architecture e.g. game design, virtual worlds. The GSD doesn't do much practical training unless you get an option studio that's big on construction or newfangled building tech. GSAPP ... maybe its the LinkedIn posts but I see more of their alumni (Probably not M.Arch but AAD) going into software development. What's your background anyway? Chances are you probably don't need an M.Arch I to gain any hands on experience.

Nov 23, 20 1:52 pm  · 
1  · 
Luques

I have BA in Architectural Studies.

Nov 23, 20 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Luques

(deleted)

Nov 23, 20 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: