Archinect
anchor

MArch portfolio tips for non-arch applicant

enigma

Hello all!

As the title suggests, I’m applying this cycle for MArch programs (mostly US schools) and did my undergrad in mechanical engineering. I’ve been out of school for a few years (in an unrelated field) and am trying to figure out the best mix of projects for my portfolio. I don’t have any recent design/building projects, so everything other than any photography I include (a side passion for the last couple years) will only be a concept—I’m thinking a few building concepts, and perhaps a couple of installation experiences/pieces. I know most schools say to include any drawings, sculpture, photos, etc, but I don’t have enough of those things for a full portfolio, and it seems as though most of the top schools want a cohesive narrative in the portfolio as opposed to random art projects. 

Anyone have suggestions coming from a similar background? Or examples of successful portfolios for top-5 schools from a non-arch background?

Thank you! 

Oct 16, 20 7:58 pm
KingGizzard

I suggest you look through Issuu. There are hundreds of successful (and non-successful) portfolio to check out and get some inspiration from. 

Oct 17, 20 2:06 am  · 
1  · 
JoeyTheGiant's comment has been hidden
JoeyTheGiant

Hey Enigma, what i did was  take a few art lessons and pull together some work, I also figured out how to properly showcase my unrelated career work into the portfolio. The presentation itself is the portfolio if that makes sense. I ended up getting into all 8 schools I applied to including top-tier schools and ended up going to UNC Charlotte. You should consider applying here. Great program! Seriously! Most of our faculty are ivy league grads.

Oct 22, 20 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

why are you spamming this?

Oct 22, 20 11:52 am  · 
 · 
JoeyTheGiant

Hey NS. Great to hear from you again. I'm not spamming. Part of my job as RA is is helping recruit talent. We have a great program that a lot of people don't know about. I'm just spreading the word. The archinect community was a pivotal part of my application process last year. This is what the community is for. It's not spam if it's directly related to our community. Spam would be like, "yo, come check out my song in Spotify" LOL

Oct 22, 20 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

it's spam. will be deleted shortly.

Oct 22, 20 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
JoeyTheGiant

Why do you see it as spam? Do you not think that people could benefit from the info? Not trying to argue, just to understand. Are you a student, or aspiring to be? If you're already in the field, than it may be lost on you how important these threads are to us as students. It was invaluable for me. If Enigma doesn't want it than I Can understand. But why you?

Oct 22, 20 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
JoeyTheGiant's comment has been hidden
JoeyTheGiant

Hey Enigma, (Re-posting this in case my other comment gets deleted by NS)... what i did was  take a few art lessons and pull together
some work, I also figured out how to properly showcase my unrelated
career work into the portfolio. The presentation itself is the portfolio
if that makes sense. I ended up getting into all 8 schools I applied to
including top-tier schools and ended up going to UNC Charlotte. You
should consider applying here. Great program! Seriously! Most of our
faculty are ivy league grads. If you need any tips, feel free to message me... I used inDesign for my portfolio.

Oct 22, 20 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: