Archinect
anchor

Master of Architecture Portfolio Review

zeushimself

Hello! Could people please review my portfolio for admission to an Master of Architecture program in Canada. Any and all constructive criticism is welcome!

https://issuu.com/tannerulrich...

Oct 15, 20 12:59 am
Non Sequitur

Needs progress images and dirty napkin concept sketches.

Everyone thinks portfolios are just a collection of final renderings... this is wrong.  Grad schools want to see how you think and solve design problems.  They don't care that you know where the rendering button is.

Oct 15, 20 8:26 am  · 
1  · 
zeushimself

Thanks for the feedback, I will work harder to include my design process. With that being said, in my first project for example, does it work to have the concept models (stairs and space model) in a spread with a render of the final product? Or should this be separated to have concept models at beginning and final images near the end?

Oct 15, 20 9:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That stair model does not look like concept/idea material. Looks more like a proof of concept. Regardless, you're the author of each page so make sure have a clear idea of what you're trying to communicate.

Oct 15, 20 10:07 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

As Non Sequitur said - more process, less renders. How and why you arrived at the final project is far more important to admissions committees than the design itself (Though the design should be very good too!) Each image should be excellent in its own right and not put there just because you needed to fill a space or sell a part of your project. All project narratives should flow - there's still a stop-start rhythm to the current layout visually and narrative-wise. I think you have a good idea of hierarchy in terms of the sizes and placements of the images/drawings but the content itself can be improved - I don't know what that photo of the model's corner is supposed to be telling the reader, for instance. If a project has good drawings, make those bigger - ditto other media. Each project can showcase a different facet of your design thinking/process.

Oct 15, 20 9:06 am  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Hey I really appreciate the feedback! Can you clarify what you mean by stop start rhythm? Is it just concept models and final images are included through out and not structured more like concept sketches > concept models > diagrams > final images / drawings?

Also, the models corner... can you tell me which image you're talking about specifically? XD

Oct 15, 20 9:59 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

In addition to what was said about, I think it is important that all text is clear, legible, and at a readable size. The drawings labels, especially on pages 6-7, are very small.  Have someone read through the project descriptions and give you feedback.

Overall, think about hierarchy of your images. You have multiple full page renders, but then the plans are very very small. It is nice to have pretty pictures, but you also want to show you understand space and can depict space in 2D. 

Oct 15, 20 11:12 am  · 
 · 
zeushimself

Thank you, appreciate the feedback.

Oct 15, 20 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: