Archinect
anchor

Advice for non-arch M.Arch admissions?

derek2712

Some background info: international/M/21; rising junior at a university in Japan, social studies major; prospective GPA: 3.9/4.3, TOEFL and GRE within "safe" range

For admissions to M.Arch for a non-arch student, do you guys have any advice especially on the portfolio (I am ''quite'' decent at sketching but am still trying how to design real stuff)?

Any insights into how much financial aid is available for an international applicant would also be very much appreciated!

Oct 10, 20 11:17 am
newbie.Phronesis

Anything creative you do is good - sketching yes, but also photography, model making, sculpting or if you built something. Make sure portfolio itself is neat and clean, and consistent formatting (check examples). Wouldn't recommend trying to design something (won't compare favourably to those from arch background, and you'll be learning how to design anyway), but a well made physical model of it could be nice. 

Scholarships and grants depend on where you're going, check the university. Tbh, if your GPA and studies are going well I wouldn't transfer to architecture, especially if you'll go back to Japan after - the profession there seems particularly... subpar to young designers. Keep architecture as a side hobby, go into something related. Cheers and good luck

Oct 10, 20 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
derek2712

Hi, thanks for your comments. I am studying in Japan but I am not a Japanese national and don’t plan to return to this country btw. May I know why you said that you wouldn’t study architecture were you in my shoes? That’s kinda ... saying something.

Oct 11, 20 2:25 am  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

*whoops, hit enter too soon

Oct 11, 20 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Partly it's the school component (at an M.Arch, you may experience: BS, arrogant professors, BS, theft, toxic classmates, have a great time... and BS). There is value in how transferrable the education is though (generally held anecdotal evidence is 50% of recent grads don't go into/stay in architecture).

Oct 11, 20 5:50 pm  · 
1  · 
newbie.Phronesis

But moreover, why do you want to go into architecture? If you want to go into something related to your undergrad and there's no Masters more related, go for it. But if you want to be an architect... Unless you've worked at a firm or have had a family member show you the ropes, the reality is not close to what you think it is unfortunately. There is artistic and design elements yeah, but majority of your job is technical, dealing with contractors+associates, redlines, figuring out solutions to stubborn problems, helping clients and undoing work. There are many architects who are overworked and unhappy, but equally those who're fine. I'd recommend looking briefly through the threads here and seeing what you think. (and an article from UK: https://www.theguardian.com/ed... )  

TL;DR try working at a firm beforehand and forming your own experience; better than finishing your M.Arch and realizing you hate architecture. Cheers (and sorry for multiple responses, site kept not posting parts -_-)

Oct 11, 20 5:58 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: