Archinect
anchor

Applying to canadian M.Arch with turkish B.Arch

Mimare

Hello everyone

I am planning to apply to M.arch programs of Canada with a 4-year B.Arch degree from a top turkish university. My ultimate goal is to get a PR and become a licensed architect there. I have cgpa of 3.69 and an average portfolio (https://issuu.com/ogulnabat/do...  would appreciate any comment on it as well). My preferences are as follows

Waterloo          U of Toronto      Ryerson       Carleton        U of Manitabo

I know some of them can be out of reach for me. And yes I have thought of UBC and McGill but kinda eliminated them cause they are not in Ontario and also very competitive schools.

Do you think I have a chance of being admitted to at least one of my preferences or should I add some more safety schools? My other question is about licensing. I know that after getting M.arch from an accredited university you have to intern for about 1-2 year (not sure though) and go though various exams. I wonder if the years spent for interning will be counted as a canadian experience needed for PR. While interning will I be making enough money to sustain a normal life there?

Any other tips and trick about the process will be highly welcomed. @Non Sequitur and others I am looking forward to your kind replies.

Thank for reading all these.

Extra info: I have been waitlisted from Columbia gsapp and Rice uni prior to graduation (no offer though).

Sep 9, 20 5:11 pm
Non Sequitur

Hey, thanks for the shout-out.  I guess that means you've searched the forums a bit.

Your folio seems reasonable at first glance.  Like most, it's missing progress work and idea development type sketches.  A good In-progress sketch can often say more than a handful of polished renderings.

Now, onto the school's side of things.  Loo and McGill are the top dogs here and have heavy competition for M.arch spots specially international ones. No harm in trying, but even if you make the cut, they will ask that you complete 1 to 3 qualifying semesters (at international tuition costs) just so you are on par with the rest of the M.arch entry class. I've explained this in several places in the forum.

But it all depends on what you want to do.  The path to becoming an architect in canada is not that difficult once you have an accredited CACB degree (professional M.arch).  Following graduation, you register as an intern architect and need to find a impartial 3rd party architect to review your progress while you work in a licensed office doing architecture things.  The intern period is typically 3ish years but most will take 5+ depending on their experience.  It's a tedious accounting process and not everyone gets to do enough hours to meet minimums in all required categories.  Once you met 50% of the min hours, you can write your 4 exams (given over 2 days, only in November).

Intern architecture salaries will vary based on real-world experience (and location) but generally speaking, for Ontario, you can expect anywhere from 38 to 55k per year starting.  There is no real standard tho so it is up to you to know the market.  Hint: if you cant detail something reasonably well coming out of M.arch and still think grand design ideas will get you work/money... you'll be disappointed.

Sep 9, 20 6:19 pm  · 
3  · 
Mimare

Thanks a lot for a thorough reply and suggestion. Given my credentials, top school cannot be a priority. I just hope to be admitted to a decent school and get a PR and settle there one day. Good luck to me )

Sep 9, 20 7:18 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

In the end, it’s what you bring to an office that counts, not the name on the degree. That being said, note that most employers here expect fresh M.arch grads to be reasonably comfortable with construction drawings and professional practice. Not all grads come out of with an M.arch who can meet these requirements.

Sep 9, 20 7:27 pm  · 
2  · 
bowling_ball

I'll echo what NS said (I'm also Canadian). You'll be paid enough to live as an intern, so long as you can find a job. So long as it's an accredited degree, nobody cares about what school you went to - there are no "Ivy Leagues" in Canada. If I was the one hiring recent graduates (and I am), you'll need to be familiar (not an expert) with construction drawings, as well as the basics of local industry customs - for example, that a 2x4 isn't actually 2"x4" (yes I've seen that, and yes, he was fired on the spot). Good luck.

Sep 9, 20 7:38 pm  · 
3  · 
Mimare

@Non Sequitur and @bowling_ball I really agree with what you said. Thanks. I had a pending job offer here from a turkish office. I am now almost sure that I should go with it until fall 2021 comes. Even though it's different from canada, a little experience within the sector will be beneficial I guess.

Sep 10, 20 6:52 am  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: