Archinect
anchor

mARCH in Europe vs. USA

Swjpz

I am in my last year of my bARCH. I really want to get my masters and live there, but am trying to figure out if my bARCH degree from USA will transfer over so I can be licensed. Should I stay and finish school in USA and then go to Europe, or hold degrees in different countries. I'm looking at schools in London, Amsterdam, Florence, Glasgow, Vienna, and Umea.

Aug 31, 20 1:52 pm
justavisual

My BArch transferred but it depends how many credit hours you have and how your classes line up with the requirements here... And you need 2+ years of work here before you can get licensed now (if they accept your BArch). *varies by country, will never work in UK.

Aug 31, 20 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Swjpz

I'll graduate from Savannah College of Art and Design with about 215 credits out of the required 180. So UK is a no go even if I get licensed in USA? Where did you go that accepted your BArch?

Aug 31, 20 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

Netherlands. I think I had about 220 credits. This was almost a decade go the degree acceptance. There is zero guarantee and it costs about 1500/2000 euro for the review. UK is a def no go. You'll have to do a part II and III.

Aug 31, 20 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

Also if youre willing to do an architecture master (MSc) in Europe you will get a license that way...you dont need the BArch conversion.

Aug 31, 20 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Swjpz

So I could do my MArch in Netherlands and be good to work there as a licensed architect? Amsterdam is where I really want to go.

Aug 31, 20 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

If you have a visa to work in the EU you can stay as long as you like. If not you will get a 1 year post study work visa and will not be able to finish your 2 years of "professional practice" to get licensed (if you study 2 years full time at Delft or Eindhoven that is). You can also study for 4 years part time at the Academy in Amsterdam, then work part time for those 4 years and thus avoid the 2 years "professional practice" requirement. (I dont know how this part time working works if you're not an EU citizen, this you need to ask the Academy). If you dont have a work visa you need a large office like OMA et al. to sponsor you for one (4000+euros).

Aug 31, 20 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: