Archinect
anchor

Become Sustainable Architect - Canada

Hello everyone!

My goal is to become an architect who creates sustainable housing for home owners in Ontario, Canada. 

I'm 22 years old and entering first year of Architectural Technology (3 year advanced diploma). This program has a transfer agreement into B. Tech (Civil Engineering Infrastructure Technology), Which would be 2 years of school, totalling 5 years for both the diploma and Bach..

I currently don't have university level credits from high school. So, starting off with college was the best start for me, as far as I know.

What I am wondering is, if I should continue with this and see if I can get a Masters in Architecture, and then get my architecture license? Or, if anyone knows if there is a better way to become a sustainable architect?

Thank you so much!

Aug 27, 20 11:59 am
Non Sequitur

In Canada, you need either an accredited Masters degree (M.arch) or complete the RAIC syllabus.  Those are the only 2 options available to you if you intend on writing your licensing exams (ExACs).  Both paths are different tho but I'll try and summarize them below:

Accredited M.Arch:  Is a 2 or 3 year professional degree offered only in 11 universities across Canada.  Entrance qualifications (and quality) varies greatly from school to school, but they all require a bachelor degree. Most applicants will do the 3y path unless they have a relevant architectural bachelor degree and stellar portfolio.  Following the completion of this degree, you will need to register as an intern architect in whatever province you want to work in so that you can start accumulating the required hours in order to write the 4 exams.  This can take anywhere from 3 to 5y post graduation depending on your work experience.  One benefit here over the RAIC is that you can use the M.arch thesis research to focus, with the help/backing of a real university, on something you want to eventually do as a career such as sustainable residential design & construction.

RAIC Syllabus: Is an alternative path that replaces the M.arch and intern period.  It is mostly self-guided with occasional meetings/presentations with syllabus proctors over the span of 6 to 7 years.  The pros are that tuition is low compared to the M.arch and that you are required to work full time in an office while completing it.  This means you will be able to gain exp hours while in the program so that you are eligible to write your licensing exams once you've completed the last module.  The con is that it is not a professional degree (or any type of degree) so it has little value outside of architecture.  Quality also varies since it's mostly reliant on the local chapter for its tutors.

So, 2 paths with similar results in the end: an architect's license.

Note that nothing is stopping you from working in an office at any time during your studies but you cannot market yourself as an architect or offer such services (legally) without the license. With a license (and a certificate of practice + insurance) so can then set up your own design office. 

Hope this helps.

Also important, you will need a design portfolio in order to even have a chance at an M.arch.  Arch-Tech and Civil degrees are notorious for producing bland and generic bodies of work which are the opposite of what universities look for.

Aug 27, 20 12:28 pm  · 
3  · 
Almosthip

Syllabus is closer to 10 years, even with credits from college

Aug 27, 20 1:16 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Really? damn...

Aug 27, 20 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Design studios only run twice a year. They didn't give me any credits for college design classes. There are a total of 9 studios to complete. Last year they just started to allow you to apply for advance standing for studio classes for new applicants. Not sure how well a college student would do.

Aug 27, 20 1:51 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

good to know. I've having beers later this week with a colleague who is also a RAIC tutor. I'll ask if he's got more info since mine is outdated.

Aug 27, 20 2:12 pm  · 
1  · 

Yes, thank you for a quick and detailed response! It's what I needed to hear too!

Aug 28, 20 9:20 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Lex, also note that if you plan on living/working in Ontario, then you can also apply for a BCIN. Although not a path to becoming an architect, it does allow you to offer building design services and sign drawings for building permit on most part 9 buildings. This option is primarily for college arch-tech, interior designers, and contractors who want to do small-scale housing projects.

Aug 28, 20 9:29 am  · 
1  · 

oh yes! I have a BCIN number and plan on doing the general legal and house exam to apply for a summer student job with a city in Ontario, I heard that city jobs are good for the resume.

Aug 28, 20 9:52 am  · 
 · 

I used to be in school for art and design, so I feel like my portfolio would be strong to continue after civil engineering as well! As for experience that is definitely something I need to work on, by the sounds of it!

Aug 28, 20 10:01 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

To reiterate what's been said already: If your interest is in small scale residential, you don't need any degree or license, however most would recommend a few design classes at least. Also, the syllabus program takes a long time - a very efficient, capable colleague of mine is wrapping it up this year, after something like 13 years. Keep in mind it'll still take something like 6 to 10 years for most in the university path to get licensed anyway.

Aug 28, 20 10:47 am  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: