Archinect
anchor

S.O.S

fatz.

So I’m about to enter my 3rd year as an architectural engineering student and my mind is everywhere between looking for internships and staying updated on the architecture world as well as trying to gain back my creative momentum before the fall semester. 

Sad to say....i’m burnt out. I need your help with anything you can link me to. That be magazines or more blogs, podcasts, books etc. 

help a sister out. 

Aug 24, 20 12:52 pm
Jay1122

I am here to the rescue. And what is architectural engineering. Is it architecture or engineer? What job do you go after with that degree.

So you want to be an architect

Aug 24, 20 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
fatz.

Well...it’s both with both deisgn and engineering classes. I plan on continuing to do my masters in architecture after that though

Aug 24, 20 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

The had an AE program at my undergrad. They also had just architecture, just engineering, and dual degrees.

I always found the AE to be a little odd. It's really an engineering degree, not an architecture degree, and while it includes design courses, the focus based on the curriculum seems clear. Which.... seems odd to me, because it's like a generalist engineer?

I've not really tracked anyone I knew in that program to see where they are at, but I've also never actually worked with any AEs, so i'm curious where they end up. Does seem like an interesting transition into a masters of architecture though. 

Aug 24, 20 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Just peruse some of the popular online design magazines, they are always enjoyable.

Aug 24, 20 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

AE under grad then M.arch 1 for graduate school? is it in the U.S.? And you want to pursue architecture jobs in the future? No idea why you would want to go that route. Trying to have some engineering background? I doubt it is useful if you go into traditional architecture later in your career. If you are in U.S. and want to pursuit architecture, my suggestion would be B.Arch then Optional M.Arch 2(only if you get into ivy league level schools for resume padding).

Aug 24, 20 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

^They are already in their 3rd year. A lot of AE programs are 5 year programs. Switching now would take more time, with worse results. 

It's probably easiest to finish off this degree, as their undergrad degree and then see if they can squeeze out an MArch in 2 years, though likely it would require 3. Topically it's a good background if you want to go into the technical side of architectural profession. It's only bad in the sense that it's a long degree that may require you to get another long degree, though that depends on where they do grad school.  

Aug 24, 20 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

It is probably 2 late now. But OP seems pretty determined to go for M.arch right after. So i am guessing OP is straight looking into architecture career. And not sure what do you mean by technical side of the profession. Are you referring to construction techniques and detailing? Those things are not taught in school. As an architect you do not do structural or civil work, even if you know how to, avoid for liability, and they require professional license. You may better understand their work with the engineering background tho, But i doubt those few years of engineering courses will teach much beyond basic.

Aug 25, 20 9:05 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I'm entirely talking bout coordination,which does permeate detailing and construction techniques as well. Of course they are not going to provide engineering drawings as an architect, but design intention and coordination of system is entirely within their scope, and knowing about these things would be helpful. Heck, you remember how much of this stuff is on the ARE exams? Even NCARB realizes it's a huge part of the profession.

Aug 25, 20 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Although big firms sometimes divide roles into design architect and technical architect, heck they even have project managers only doing financial,schedule and communication, not touching architecture at all. Degree has nothing to do with where you will end up. Even with B.arch you can still work on technical side, you learn most stuff on the job anyway. And small projects usually require you to work on both sides. So the verdict? AE degree just feels like some half ass thing to me. Do a real engineer undergrad and then M.Arch 1 would be way better if you want to dip on both sides. If you fail as an architect, become an engineer instead.

Aug 25, 20 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Personal desire and skills determine where you end up, most people end up doing a lot on a technical side, yes, and you learn so much more working on stuff than in school that the degree is not as critical. However, the point is that if you want to do more on the side where understanding engineering is of benefit to you, a degree that specializes in that is probably a positive. You don't end up doing enough of any single engineering condition to have that be more valuable than doing an AE degree... If you really get into anything on the E side in the arch field that is not coordination it's probably going to be energy performance/sustainability related, since there are a lot of things that engineers don't like to do, and they are often not on board early enough anyway. I think that's the point of an AE degree?

Aug 25, 20 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

To be clear, my initial response was that I didn't really have that fond of opinions of AE degrees, because it is sort of a middle ground. But that is primarily if your desire is to be an architect, or do the architectural scope of work without going back to school. If you're going to get an MArch on top of it... seems like a decent undergrad choice form a knowledge standpoint, just poor from a time in school standpoint.

Aug 25, 20 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I really appreciate the content on Madame Architect: https://www.madamearchitect.org/ They post interviews of women working in architecture in a variety of ways. They have somewhat recently expanded to include an advice column, focusing on professional advice about how to find a mentor, an internship, deciding where to go to grad school, etc.

Aug 25, 20 9:44 am  · 
1  · 
fatz.

@natematt

My journey to pursue a professional career as an architect is a little complicated. 

And no I am not in the US actually i'm in the middle east. Deciding to go into E was so that I could have somewhat of an engineering background that I can later apply my designs to (Out here, having and ENG is a +1 for you) 

I don't really care about how long i'm going to stay in school, time has never mattered to me, as long as I end up doing what Ive always wanted and that is design. 

It might be a little difficult, yes, but that is why my main point of this forum was to try involve myself in all things design and purely-architecture related. Hoping you guys could link me with anything out there. 

Aug 31, 20 2:21 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: