Archinect
anchor

New Interior Design Student at Boston Architectural College

thomasjosephholmes

I am new at BAC, I live South of Boston, and I'll be doing my classes online, and I am taking 3 Interior Design courses for a Certificate.

I am taking the Color Theory, Interior Lighting, and Intro Studio 1 classes.  I ordered the books, I am looking at the materials.  I am not working at this time, so I can dedicate 40 hours a week if not more to my classes.

Am I in over my head?   I have never done drafting before or taken any classes like this before, but I am super creative and have done a lot of my own projects and decorating.

Ultimately, I don't want to be an Architect, I want to be doing  more Interior Design work, staging spaces ... I don't see myself suggesting walls get moved, or re-designed, I want to decorate an interior spaces.  So, I thought a Certificate for Interior Design would be the best thing.  Am I correct, or will I be in way over my head?   

Thanks very much for your patience with this newbie!

Aug 23, 20 4:45 pm
Non Sequitur

you don’t need post secondary education to do decorating. 

Aug 23, 20 5:47 pm  · 
1  · 
raquelchanning

some states and projects require certification in interior design or you can’t consult or do any work professionally

Aug 23, 20 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Only 3 states regulate the practice of interior design. All the other +/- 30 states that have licensing or registration for interior designers regulate only the use of titles that an unlicensed person can/can't call themselves.

Aug 23, 20 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

interior design? I am pretty sure they are easy. Isn't it just some color choosing, material picking, furniture picking & arranging? What i would suggest to learn for future jobs besides finishing typical school design work, is great rendering skills. Luckily interior renderings are way easier than exterior. The ability to have a realistic rendering showcasing your actual design intention is important. Also, get an actual interior design degree then go for NCIDQ.

Aug 23, 20 8:49 pm  · 
thebacboston

Hello from The Boston Architectural College—welcome to the Community! We are thrilled you will be taking these courses this semester. In order to ensure you have a positive experience, we have created resources to guide you along the way.  Your direct contact at the College for the CE program is Beverly Verla, Manager of Continuing Education, [email protected]. And, for any other questions, feel free to email [email protected] – our communications team will direct your question to the appropriate person!  We wish you a successful fall 2020 semester! 

Aug 25, 20 9:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: