Archinect
anchor

NCARB Salaries, why licensure is so expensive

Bammerdon

NCARB made $11,000,000 from exams and exam retakes in 2017.  Salaries of executive staff are insane - why does NCARB need this many people making upwards of $500,000 per year?  If you don't see a problem with this, you might be part of the problem.  If you want to full PDF, google NCARB's IRS Form 990 - this is just a snapshot of 1/2 page.

Aug 20, 20 9:12 pm
Non Sequitur

I see a problem with wankers who don't know shit about what architects do yet complain about architects.  Find a new hobby.

Aug 20, 20 9:17 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

Bammerdon,

At this point, I don't give a flying f--- about Mr. Armstrong's salary. After all, he's the only one with the nearly $460K salary for being a corporate CEO (non-profit corporation but still... who cares).

As an exam candidate, I am not giving two squats about that sh-t. As for why licensure is expensive is for a hell of a lot more reasons than Mr. Armstrong's salary.  

As for me, I am waiting for the online (remote) proctoring. Then my rolling clock begins with passing the first exam division. If I pass these exams and you haven't then you better start taking seriously what you are doing wrong in passing these exams. FYI: I'm not just taking the ARE exam but also the AIBD/NCBDC's CPBD certification exam. If I pass all those exams then you should, too! 

For me, it is an opportunity that I said a decade ago that if I had the opportunity to take the ARE, I'll do it. I have that opportunity, now. I'm waiting for the online proctoring of the ARE exam but it is still in the 'now' context. It would be a personal accomplishment regardless of whether I end up getting licensed as an architect. 

Aug 21, 20 1:20 am  · 
 · 

Bam - please actually read the chart you posted, that or STFU you wanker

Aug 21, 20 10:04 am  · 
1  · 
Superfluous Squirrel

The AREs are structured the way they are to reduce the number of Architects. The more expensive everything is the fewer architects there will be.

They need to do something with all that money, so everyone gets big salaries. 

Aug 21, 20 10:17 am  · 
 · 

Nice BS conspiracy theory. The ARE's are structured to test the MINIMUM level of professional knowledge and experience it takes to be an architect.

Aug 21, 20 10:52 am  · 
2  ·  1
Superfluous Squirrel

You really think the MINIMUM knowledge required to be an architect includes enough information about contracts and project management to fill two 3.5 hour tests?

Aug 21, 20 11:09 am  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

The exam might be 3.5 hours or can be any number of hours and questions but learning the knowledge and skills of project management and contracts is a hell of a lot more. In fact the real test is the whole licensure process. It's the education, the experience, and the ARE. Can it be better? Sure. Can the ARE be better? Sure. Can the licensure process be better? Sure it can be. Changes aren't going to happen suddenly. It can't. There are 50 states and 4 Federal territories that would need to make legislative changes through legislative processes for some kinds of changes. Some can be done by board administrative rules changes. The ARE serves a purpose in the whole licensure process.

Aug 21, 20 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

squirrel - yes. In fact more would be better.  Contracts and project management are two skills that are essential for an architect to do their work.  It also happens to be the two subjects most architects are the worst at.   

May I ask how much experience you have in contracts and project management?  

Aug 21, 20 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: