Archinect
anchor

Low GPA in uni from a foreign country but REALLY want to transfer to architecture undergrad degree in North America what should I do?

Liz123

hello, I am in my third year of the architecture program at a Latin American Uni. I had good grades in school, but my grades in university are not very high. My average is 12.5 out of 20 which would be like a 2.0 GPA. I have considered transfer to another career but most of my peers consider me to have great ideas and have passion for the career, it’s just that I don’t do very well in exams bc I get extremely nervous. I am really passionate about my career, I have made good things for my academic community in my faculty regarding themes about architecture.  I don’t know what to do, the uni I go to does not fit for me, and I have always dreamed to study abroad. Any recommendations? Please and thank you in advance.

Aug 17, 20 9:58 am
SpontaneousCombustion

There are over 100 accredited 5-year undergrad architecture programs in the US, so you could try applying to some of the lower-ranked ones of these.  Your GPA is very low, but the cut-off for some of the lower-ranked undergrad programs (if they have one at all) is around 2.0, and since you would be an international student applying with a transcript from another grading system it's a little difficult to directly correlate that with the US system and they might cut you some slack, if you have a very strong portfolio and recommendations that strongly support that you have great potential in the field.

But, it's fairly typical to be set back a year or more even when you're transferring from one US architecture program to another, so the likelihood is that you will end up repeating your 3rd year and possibly even 2nd year.  Another way to approach it that would probably take about the same amount of time overall would be to finish a 4-year pre-professional architecture major and then do a 2 or 3 year M.Arch program afterward.  

Aug 17, 20 3:22 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

A great portfolio can often get you into M.Arch programs with a low undergrad GPA. You'll never know if you don't apply.

Aug 17, 20 3:29 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

I don't see any issues other than money. If you can afford to pay for the tuition and living cost in the U.S. then you should go for it. I think Master is easier than B.arch to get into. Those universities love international students for their money.

Now lets discuss whether to do it now or later. If you transfer now, the amount of credit being accepted is possibly absolutely low.It all depends on the evaluation from the school. Most architecture schools have their own pedagogy and core courses built in succession. You may have to start nearly all over for B.arch.

Another option is finish your degree, assuming its 4 year. Apply to NAAB accredited M.arch program in the U.S. This way you get extra preparation for your portfolio and a master degree on top of your current degree.

Most international students get M.arch in order to stay and work in the U.S., not sure if that is your plan. If you just want a degree from U.S. to pad your resume when you go back to your country, i don't think it is worth the money and time unless you are very wealthy.

Aug 17, 20 4:59 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: