Archinect
anchor

Baroque Architecture Firms?

anthonymadia

Does anyone know if any firms that either specialize in Baroque architecture design or would have the aesthetic mindset for it?

I need someone to design I private residence for me. Thank you.

Aug 11, 20 12:11 am
chris-chitect

Christopher Wren comes to mind. 

Aug 11, 20 12:26 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Not sure but you could try Francesco Castelli, did some interesting stuff back in the day, not sure if they’re still in business though, haven’t heard from them in a while and with this COVID-19, who knows...Good luck!

Aug 11, 20 1:55 am  · 
 · 
citizen

The official Baroque beverage.  Look for it in the office kitchen.

Ovaltine Rich Chocolate Drink Mix (18 oz. Canister) Buy Groceries ...

Aug 11, 20 2:12 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

“Why do they call it Ovaltine?”

Aug 11, 20 9:07 am  · 
 · 

Google "Mark Foster Gage" and see if that fits your definition of Baroque.

Also, my favorite dad joke whenever Baroque architecture comes up: "Why don't they fix it?"

Aug 11, 20 4:03 pm  · 
3  · 
Jay1122

I actually went to check it out out of curiosity. Seems like a lot of conceptual stuff with nice renderings, not much actual built projects. Only built projects are the typical boring residential. Their statement of how they are picky of their client made me laugh. Good luck finding those ambitious clients willing to spent the money on those modern day complex ornaments.

Aug 11, 20 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

a little help for your inspiration

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baroque_residences

Aug 11, 20 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

How about future systems? Their Tribeca townhome is pretty out there.

Aug 11, 20 5:42 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

wow. it' sexy.

Aug 11, 20 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

if anyone needs a refresher...

Aug 11, 20 6:59 pm  · 
4  · 
senjohnblutarsky

I can't get masons to building straight/plumb walls either. Methinks it's for different reasons.

Aug 12, 20 8:17 am  · 
1  · 
The_Crow

This project was designed by "System Architects" not the far more interesting "Future Systems"

Aug 12, 20 4:48 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Looks like a bunch of Edvard Munch screamers with face masks...

Aug 12, 20 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

ah thanks for the correction. Systems, Future Systems, System of a Down, easy to confuse them all

Aug 12, 20 5:35 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Also:

Ronald Rael and Emerging Objects

Matsys Design

(previously mentioned) Mark Foster Gage

(previously hated on) Mark Fornes and TVM

Jeanne Gang?

Selgascano?

Could actually spur an interesting discussion - who are the current successors to the Baroque style? 

Seems like digital ornament is an obvious place to look, but there's also plan geometry to consider...

Aug 11, 20 7:04 pm  · 
1  · 
liberty bell

Not fuckin’ Fornes. I’d put Bureau de Change on the list. But not fuckin’ Fornes.

Aug 11, 20 10:20 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

really interested in what your vendetta against Fornes is based on (as opposed to picking at random any of the dozens of other exploitative practices getting tons of publicity). Would it happen to have anything to do with your husband's business and a fabrication agreement gone wrong?

Aug 12, 20 9:32 am  · 
1  · 
liberty bell

I’ve heard stories about Fornes both online and from specific people. Also, even though incredibly unfair and prohibitive NDAs that give one side all the power are a thing that exist, my spouse’s company has done tons excellent work for many smart, talented, happy people.

Aug 12, 20 9:43 am  · 
1  · 

archanonymous, if you know of "dozens of other exploitative practices getting tons of publicity" you should name names. If firms are *still* out there not paying interns and abusing staff both economically and emotionally we - the entire discipline - should root them out and stop them.

Aug 12, 20 9:45 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Donna - wasn't suggesting that your spouse's firm was anything other than ultra cool! I just happen to know a few different fab shops that have had less than stellar experiences with them.

Aug 12, 20 9:52 am  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

But again, I don't see that as a reason not to mention them when talking about contemporary design practices. Are we going to "cancel culture" ZHA, DS+R, Herzog + DeMeuron, 1/2 the firms in LA, John Ronan, Snohetta, Trahan, or any of the other firms that "abuse staff both economically and emotionally?" Probably a discussion for another thread...

Aug 12, 20 9:56 am  · 
1  · 

Definitely a discussion for another thread, but it's not about "canceling" them, it's about using public opinion and legal ethics to make them start paying staff, at least.

Aug 12, 20 9:58 am  · 
2  · 
monosierra

A healthy chunk of these firms would go out of business if they had to obey the laws of economy like every other professional service provider. There is virtually no reason for some of them to even exist other than creating "art" for the sake of it. Subsidized by the pockets of international student interns and other under-paid/unpaid workers - and partly by schools who wilfully supply 'em with student interns too and provide the only market for the services (i.e. speculative "research") offered by these practices.

Aug 12, 20 10:11 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

Fornes pays his staff, why would he otherwise have an archinect job as?

Aug 12, 20 11:39 am  · 
 · 
randomised

*as=ad

Aug 12, 20 11:40 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Forget Baroque.  Who's doing Rococo?

Aug 11, 20 7:47 pm  · 
1  · 
BabbleBeautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az_2oiccZNo

Aug 12, 20 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Does your client want Baroque or Belle Epoque? Belle Epoque was often used in the south of France on the Mediterranean coast and Monaco (and still is). Baroque was much earlier and normally was used in civic and church  buildings. 

Belle Epoque below. 

Aug 11, 20 9:11 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: