Archinect
anchor

Arch Firms in Texas

BulgarBlogger

Thinking of moving to Texas- specifically Corpus Christie. Like the location and much more spacious than NYC. I can use the cost of my $800k studio apartment to buy a nice home down there.

BUT:

1) Not really impressed with the firms down there.

2) Most of the homes look like suburban garbage. 

I was thinking/hoping that that the work was a product of builders, but trained and licensed architects to have portfolios of shit?

Enough ranting- can someone point me to some reputable firms in Corpus and Texas in general? 

PS- can someone please explain me why/how architects allow themselves to have shitty McMansions on their website/portfolios? I’d be embarrassed. Beyond that, looks like there is a real shortage of talent over there if that is the output. Hope I’m wrong. Looking forward to your replies! 

Aug 9, 20 4:20 pm
Non Sequitur

to your McMansion point, plenty of people are proud to drink bud light even though there is literally infinitely more superior choices. Some actually prefer it and there will always be a wanker willing to pay for mediocrity and there will always be someone ready to offer it. 

Good luck. 

Aug 9, 20 4:24 pm  · 
2  · 
midlander

why corpus christie specifically? firms serve their markets. if you're not impressed by the firms you're not going to like the market.

Aug 9, 20 8:16 pm  · 
5  · 
Nevah-Wen

I second the above question.  Why Corpus Christi?  Texas has a bunch of very large cities with many quality architecture firms (Houston, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio.)  All of these cities are substantially cheaper than New York.

I grew up in Houston, but have been living in New England for about 20 years.  If I ever move back to Texas, let’s just say Corpus Christi wouldn’t be my first choice if I want a decent architecture job.  If you’re looking for proximity to the water, the Houston area is an option worth considering.  

Aug 10, 20 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

I've always liked Andersson Wise.   You can get some pretty decent ranch style homes in east austin for 400-500k, and use the rest to buy a smaller second home in Corpus Christi for beach weekends.  

Aug 10, 20 11:55 am  · 
 · 
gibbost

I've always been a fan of Lake|Flato's work.  They've got a San Antonio and an Austin office.  Corpus Christi is a nice town off the coast, but I think you'll have to get closer to one of the major hubs for better design content.  

If you can survive the heat, Texas is alright.  Inexpensive cost of living and construction everywhere.  I would assume there's plenty of good opportunities for a good architect.

Aug 10, 20 12:07 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

Just want to emphasize that this:

I can use the cost of my $800k studio apartment to buy a nice home down there.

and this:

1) Not really impressed with the firms down there.

2) Most of the homes look like suburban garbage. 

...are directly correlated.

Aug 10, 20 12:24 pm  · 
3  · 
square.

must be nice to have such problems

Aug 10, 20 12:32 pm  · 
1  · 
chasm

Check out Richter Architects, they do some interesting things and its not McMansions.

Aug 10, 20 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

They were first in the google search. Not impressed. Now thinking of Dallas, not Corpus.

Aug 10, 20 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: