Archinect
anchor

Portfolio for Grad School

Whoknow

I've seen people talk about a stellar portfolio could help you get into top programs despite bad GPA or GRE scores. But what defines a stellar portfolio, and what kind of qualities that stellar portfolios have? Example would be nice! Thank guys

Aug 5, 20 7:05 pm
Non Sequitur

something tells me you don’t have stellar material if this is the level of work you’re putting into your folio. Most of the time, bad grades = bad work. 

Aug 5, 20 7:55 pm  · 
3  ·  3
mdhuang94

Stellar is like, you can tell they spent months without sleep adding so many details and graphic tricks on their drawings. Design and representation is much more dynamic, eye-catching, and well developed. 

They spent so much time as they are obsessive with design to where they let their grades slide for other classes, tanking their GPA.

Aug 7, 20 10:05 am  · 
1  ·  1
Non Sequitur

Nope. You don’t need to obsess over studio and ignore other classes for stellar work. Just make intelligent decisions and learn to budget your time. Simple.

Aug 7, 20 3:44 pm  · 
1  · 
Whoknow

so they probably have As for studios and C for other classes.

Aug 7, 20 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
TimothyCC

That's exactly what happened to me. My GPA was very low in undergrad, but it made no difference in the end. I got into a top school + almost full ride. Got jobs at a few starchitect offices as well. People on this forum told me to go beat it, thinking I can get in with a 2.x GPA.

It's impossible to budget your time to get A's in every course and do truly exceptional work. That being said, in the 8 years of students I've encountered, 1 person managed to get max grades in every course + 9/10 studio work, so impossible isn't exactly correct, just 1 in a few thousand.

Oct 5, 20 4:18 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

"It's impossible to budget your time to get A's in every course and do truly exceptional work."

Yes it is.  While it is not easy, A level work can be maintained if you approach your school work in a mature and intelligent way.  

Oct 5, 20 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
TimothyCC

Until I see an example I will have to disagree. Sure there have been "good" work, but nothing excellent.

Oct 5, 20 5:59 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

You need more experience then.

Oct 5, 20 6:09 pm  · 
TimothyCC

Who doesn't? You should always be striving to be better. It's just outrageous to put everyone at a standard of an associate at a top NY office within 3 years of graduating.

Then again our criteria may differ. Excellent in your eyes may not pass mine.

Oct 6, 20 5:57 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

I think you have it backwards.

Oct 6, 20 6:20 pm  · 
TimothyCC

Pro tip: Spend more time working in the profession than on the forums proclaiming to.

Oct 6, 20 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I already do. I’m not worried about that. Just curious when random wankers think it’s ok to dismiss the rest of their classes because of studio.

Oct 6, 20 7:07 pm  · 
3  ·  1
monosierra

Indeed, it is such an unhealthy attitude. The best students - and designers - in my experience are excellent at managing their time. Sometimes studio will take more time in a week, but over the course of the semester studio, classes, and other activities (Sports, getting involved in activities outside school, attending classes in other departments) balances out.

Oct 6, 20 7:51 pm  · 
2  · 
kibourin

is there like a pdf. and understanding way to do a awesome interactive portfolio.

Aug 7, 20 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis
placebeyondthesplines

unfortunately, most schools view PDF portfolios through web portals that disable any embedded interactive elements or Flash animations. for now you're stuck with submitting a basic series of slides.

Oct 9, 20 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: