Archinect
anchor

HELP!! I'm having trouble with my portfolio and school selections

quincyhawkins

So, I'm a prospective student applying for fall of 2021 college terms and it has just come to my attention that the majority of the schools I've been researching require me to submit portfolios.

Now, don't misunderstand me, I do have an artistic history, but not a history that is architecture related. And I don't have nearly enough works as most of these schools require. I thought I had my options set in stone, but I guess I overlooked this part and I need help before it's too late for my applications to turn in.

I'm also confused on how the degree types correlate to certain years. I'd like to go into Architectural design, but I've heard that takes you on the 4 + 2 year path, which I'm not against, I just need clarification on it.

I'm not sure if this helps any but I'm strictly looking for schools in California. I was looking at these schools in particular, but I don't know which do/don't require portfolios:

Cal Poly(San Luis Obispo and/or Pomona), Academy of Art University, Otis College of Art and Design, Art Center College of Design, California College of the Arts, University of Southern California, Southern California Institute of Architecture, Woodbury University, National University, University of California(Los Angeles), and MiraCosta College

Jul 30, 20 9:28 pm
autofireunit

Assuming you are applying to undergrad? 

Some undergrad school offers 4 years architecture degree, coming in format of Bs Architecture or Ba Architecture. Those degrees are not accredited, means you can't directly become an architect after graduation. For those schools, the students would go to a grad school to get a M Arch degree that is accredited, which becomes 4+2 or 4+3.5 depends on the school.

Other schools offer five years professional degree, which means you don't need a further Master to be an architect. If you do, your master programs will be shorter, so you have a 5+1 or 5+2.

Aug 1, 20 10:05 pm  · 
1  · 
seekingguidance

Go to a community college that teaches architecture and architecture design technology and get really good with Revit, or whatever the tool to be is in the next 10 years is. Digital technology such as BIM/VDC and the like is on the rise and is an industry worth keeping an eye on. Also get an internship; just do it. Start with the trade you like but realize that modeling and drafting with Revit can be done in other trades. Market the fact that you are taking Revit courses at a credible school; have an ongoing portfolio as you go about the semester. Have a copy of your work ready for any given moment someone may ask. Develop your internship while you finish school. If the architect doesn't have a to do list for you then create one and start the moment you park your car and walk into the studio. Cherish your intern years. Learn as much as you can. Get uncomfortable.  

When the moment to expand your knowledge arrives, typically after graduating with an associate from the community college, notify the company where you've been developing your real world skills.  Most of the time they are willing to see you go successfully and will have your back. 

There's also nothing wrong with developing your career with the associates. In other words, you don't have to pursue the bachelors but it would help. Only have a good game plan for your development within the studio if you opt out of advancing your academic and education run.

As for your portfolio, just get it done. Put it together and get it done. Call/email/message the schools you are interested in and ask for deadlines for the architecture portfolio. For the meantime, just get started and going with your portfolio. If you're a mix media artist, then label a few of your best work to display. Advice from your future self, always have an on going portfolio. 

Eventually, have a dot com to show off your work. Best wishes!

Aug 2, 20 1:22 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: