Archinect
anchor

Recommendation Letters

Whoknow

I am currently working on my application for grad school, and wondering when I send my request for the recommendation letter, should I also send my complete or work in progress portfolio to remind them of who I was ?

Jul 27, 20 7:22 pm
tduds

1 - As early as possible.

2 - If you have to remind them who you are, you shouldn't be asking them to write a recommendation.

Jul 27, 20 7:32 pm  · 
5  · 
Whoknow

Thanks!

Jul 27, 20 8:22 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

3 - Have you already confirmed that the instructor is available and willing to write by a certain date?  

• If not yet, don't send your package; it's presumptuous.  Instead, send a brief request with (i) a 1-2 sentence reminder of you/your project, (ii) the letter request, and (iii) the letter deadline.  
  • If you've already confirmed their willingness, definitely send (concise) materials to remind them of you/your work.
Jul 27, 20 7:44 pm  · 
3  · 
Whoknow

Thanks, I will send a confirmation email.

Jul 27, 20 8:22 pm  · 
1  · 
Whoknow

Sent emails to 2 of my profs, they replied "happy to support! etc..." Thank you, this definitely a great first step.

Jul 29, 20 5:02 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Well done, on you and them! The initial request is helpful to both student and instructor. And always remember to include that magic information: when the letter's due. A few days versus a few weeks can make a big difference in the ability to help.

Jul 29, 20 5:17 pm  · 
1  · 
Whoknow

Gotcha! I'll make sure to do that in my next emails. Again, thanks!

Jul 29, 20 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: