Archinect
anchor

Should I go back to school?

laurenocannon

Hello, everyone! This is my first post on here, nice to meet you all. 

So my question is rather complicated, at least that's how it feels in my life. I am a senior level graphic designer who has always wanted to enter into the historic redevelopment/adaptive reuse field. In fact, before starting my career in graphic design, which I sort of just fell into, that is what I wanted to do, but wasn't quite sure how to do it. Sadly, not much has changed. 

I would love to renovate old buildings for modern day use. I'd like to own my projects, but I realize that may be limiting to what I can do. I am drawn to the idea of buying something old and forgotten, then renovating it while maintaining historic and cultural integrity to become a focal point in the community. I am also interested in combining adaptive reuse projects with graphic design, in creating branded in environments. One of my favorite projects like this is the Gilmore Gas Station in LA which is now a Starbucks. I do have a little background in branded environmental design, with a small handful of branding projects I have lead, but nothing that ever really came to see the light of day. 

Is it worth going back to school and earning my degree in architecture and taking a more tradition route (school -> internships -> full time work -> licensure) or is it possible, with my background, to get into that realm without being a licensed architect? I am completely open to starting small, if school isn't the right route, and building my portfolio from there. BTW, I have been saving for my first project since I was 14 years old, half of my life. 

Thanks for your help! 

Jul 22, 20 3:21 pm
thisisnotmyname

Do a dual Master of Architecture/Master of Preservation studies (MArch/MPS).  I think Tulane offers this, others schools may have similar.   The M.Arch will open a path to getting an architectural license while the preservation degree course will expose you to all things about old buildings.  

A straight architecture degree program with no preservation content will be a much less effective preparation for a person interested in renovation projects.  I have many colleagues who only have MPS degrees, but they have jobs with little to no design work.  I also know people on the branding side that just hire and direct architects to draw up whatever ideas they have.  

If you want to be the developer/owner of the old buildings you fix up, a dual masters degree in real estate and preservation may be the thing to do.

Jul 22, 20 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
square.

be wary of any significant debt, especially at this point in your career/new career. anything over 50k (which is still too high of an number, but probably realistic.. the tulane example mentioned above looks to be 4 years, @ 50k a year = 200k(!)) will be a huge burden as you try to not only gain experience, but develop your own projects. i have a friend who went from graphic design to architecture, and while they are happy with the decision in terms of work, they debt they took on (100k+) has been crippling, and they often look back on their much more lucrative career in graphic design.

Jul 22, 20 4:12 pm  · 
2  · 
thisisnotmyname

I did feel weird suggesting Tulane due to their crazy high tuition. They do however have a good preservation program there and New Orleans has a lot of cultural organizations and economic activity focused on old buildings.

Jul 23, 20 12:02 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

If you can manage it financially, an M.Arch. would probably be the path of least resistance, but you certainly can work in architecture without a degree or ever becoming a licensed architect and, depending on where you are, may also be able to ultimately become licensed without the degree (this would be doing it the hard way, but it's what I did, so I know it can be done).

Jul 22, 20 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

you could probably do it either way.

Jul 22, 20 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdhuang94

USC also has a great MHP/M.ARCH program if you want to be in LA afterwards. They are known as the LA school as their curriculum is a survey and discourse on LA architecture. USC owns the Gamble House, Freeman House, and connected to a lot of the architectural gems in LA. You would also be paying for the cult-like Trojan Family, the USC Architectural Guild, and prestige of USC so you will be able to find a job easily after graduating. (once we're out of the recession ofc) 

Columbia and UPenn are also great if you want to learn more about restoring much older buildings. 

I would just apply and see where you can get the most financial aid. But based on your interest, USC seems to be your best bet.

Jul 23, 20 9:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: