Archinect
anchor

Anyone have experience implementing parking lifts in residential projects?

greenlander

Anyone here worked on a project where they used these lifts (the machines that stack 2 cars in 1 parking space) to maximize parking spaces?  Curious as to how the respective jurisdictions reviewed them and whether residential building occupants would be ok with sort of set up.

Jul 12, 20 2:32 pm

I have and my client used to be the town inspector....Just won't count towards required parking, if zoning requires it, usually.

Jul 12, 20 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

No direct (project) experience here, though I'm aware of others using them more on tight urban sites: both in individual units (netting a 2-car garage in a 10'x20' space, and in shared parking garages with aisles of them.

I also know of a recent, fully automated structure that's been a disaster due to slow operations and  long wait times for users at both the front and back ends.

Jul 12, 20 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

@citizen yeh I've been wondering about whether these things are considered a big hassle for end users.  Our current lot is a double loaded parking aisle and would get clogged at peak times.

@ancient sheds that would be problematic.  so you utilized it just for surplus parking?

Jul 12, 20 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

yes. The client owns a classic car so it would be in storage most the times above his regular car. We spec'd this model - https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/parking-lifts/hd-7/. had to beef up the slab.... I tried this in NYC for zoning purposes and in conversation the commissioner was like - absolutely no.

Jul 12, 20 4:02 pm  · 
 · 

but it works for valet commercial parking. so not sure how you could spin it where you are at.

Jul 12, 20 4:02 pm  · 
1  · 

to be clear, you can use it for multi-dwelling applications in NYC if you have indeed valet parking. This is how you squeeze 70 parking spots into 2100 sq.ft.

Jul 14, 20 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

by the way, not sure why I posted under Donjuan earlier,  my kids like screwing around with my accounts.  Need to be more careful leaving the computer on.

Jul 12, 20 3:34 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

That's hilarious, Greenlander.  ("Why would someone as suave-sounding as Donjuan be so interested in parking?")

And for the shared parking-structure use of these lifts, I believe that a contract/condition would mandate valet operations as Sheds says-- like any tandem parking situation.

Jul 12, 20 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

@citizen kids are dangerous lol

Yeh I guess maybe as tandem parking in a multifamily building this might be a hassle.  Definitely have seen it for single family houses though and makes sense there.  Parking is a drag on so many levels.  Would be great to see more adoption/ incentives for smaller vehicles like mopeds/ smart cars.

Jul 12, 20 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Simply build buildings without "sufficient" parking, people will find those alternatives quite quickly...

Jul 15, 20 4:23 am  · 
1  · 
whistler

Unless you are in some foreign country where they might consider it, it's mostly a vanity request by car collectors and those looking to optimize garage space.  We have used them on SF projects for clients to stack multiple prized cars in a tall garage space and protect them alternatively they have to go rent something off site.  the racks are relatively cheap too.

Jul 14, 20 6:29 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: