Archinect
anchor

Remote Work Employment

mega_pointe

I'm curious if anyone has seen their own firms consider hires of people on a purely remote basis (with possible stipulations of the occasional once a week/month office visit)? It seems we've all realized the viability of remote work as have other professions, but I've not heard anyone discuss their pool of available talent expanding due to their ability to hire people from a distance on a remote work basis. To turn the tables, I have been curious to find opportunities out of state with firms willing to hire people on a remote work basis, but when I've inquired about remote work I'm not getting a response or the answer is no. This could be due to firms still preferring to hire people who would have the ability to come in full-time in the office or due to the fact the industry is seeing a dip in work. 

Curious to hear your thoughts on this!

Jul 7, 20 10:39 am
mega_pointe

Dang, thought this might have been a more popular topic of conversation!

Jul 13, 20 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

I think we are mostly still figuring this out. Stand by for updates as we collectively experience this for the first time.

Jul 23, 20 8:57 am  · 
1  · 
yarchitect

Hi mega-pointe,

I own a small firm and I would consider remote-employment. It may not be full-time though. It all depends on the person's skillset, capabilities etc. I have tried using friends in the field to outsource CD's and it wasn't overly successful because I wasn't able to teach them how I like things done. Every firm has their own way of doing things. It is easier to hire former employees or former colleagues for remote positions because you already know how they work, how they think, their quality of work, etc. I think even with remote employment, it is important for the person to come in periodically for face-to-face and in-person teamwork. My 2 cents.

Jul 23, 20 8:34 am  · 
1  · 
mega_pointe

I think that makes a ton of sense. Firm culture is going to have to evolve if offices are partly remote, but like you said it seems some amount of face-to-face will be necessary. Otherwise, it'll feel like a bunch of contract positions rather than a cohesive body of people working towards a common goal. Maybe that also means freelance architecture will become more of a thing.

Jul 23, 20 8:45 am  · 
 · 

I believe it will eventually happen, but the whole "movement" is still in its infancy. Like you said, only now companies are realizing it is possible to keep good work while working from home (rather forcebly).

However, this is different than remote work as those people were already working together before WFH. But it did open the eyes of many company owners and managers that there might be something there to be explored.

At the beginning of the lockdowns, I put out a small survey over at https://remotearchitects.club to get people talking about how were thet dealing with the whole WFH situation. Most of them confirmed it was not a big issue concerning productivity or getting the job done.

Now that some people are getting back to the office (at least here in Europe), I put out a second survey, more detailed. The results so far keep confirming that:

1) Most people do enjoy working from home, a smaller percentage do not, but all of them agree that having the flexibility to choose would be ideal, and that they can do their jobs just find working from home

2) Lots of people would be open to remote job positions (in case this were a thing)

3) While certain jobs are tricky to be 100% remote (early phases, conceptual design), other are considered totally possible to be done 100% remotely (QA, costs, drafting, etc)

I will run the survey for another month or so and publish the results then. Let's keep the discussion going. :)

PS: if anynone wants to participate, you can find the link to the survey on https://remotearchitect.club

Aug 24, 20 5:05 am  · 
2  · 
James1985

I have the similar thought, and found one company in Washington hiring a couple of employees regardless of their domicile. I have contacted them, and surprised hear the candidates are even not expected to live commutable location after this pandemic situation eases. All of the opening positions are intermediate or above so the employees have enough knowledges and experiences to work by themselves. 

I am looking for this types of firms, but not luck so far. I guess there could be more firms hiring people who can work solely remote basis. 

Oct 2, 20 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal

This is an interesting topic. I live a couple hours out of San Francisco and have been more seriously considering remote employment with firms there. Close enough for occasional office visits, but not realistic for a daily commute.

My concern is career growth. It seems that a remote position would not have the same promotion/career growth trajectory as an in-office position. Would you agree?

Nov 16, 21 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

I would consider hiring someone for a management / experienced position, but I'd never hire anyone new to the industry. Even then I'd lean towards in office staff given the choice.

Nov 16, 21 3:11 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: