Archinect
anchor

Assistantship with GPA 2.97

swapnilivana

Hi, I want to do masters in USA Is there possibility to get admission with assistantship in USA with GPA 2.97 ? Which universities give such opportunities? Thank you.

Jul 6, 20 5:40 pm
Flatfish

A 2.97 GPA is below the published 3.0 threshold for most M.Arch programs - but it's so close that you likely won't be automatically/administratively rejected by a lot of them.  It's not competitive for the very most selective programs, but you can safely apply to middle-of-the-pack universities, and would still have a realistic shot at some of them if you have a very strong portfolio and recommendations

By "assistantship" did you mean a teaching assistant position? Or did you mean just financial aid?  If the latter, your chances of getting merit-based financial aid aren't great with a 2.97 GPA.  If you meant a teaching assistantships: methods and policies for awarding assistantships and fellowships vary widely from one program to the next.  Most M.Arch programs have at least some TA opportunities, but many do not award them as part of admissions - so in those programs you won't know when you're accepted whether you'll be able to secure a TA spot or not.  Also many don't award them at all to first-semester (or sometimes first-year) students.  How much the assistantships pay or how much tuition is offset by them also varies widely: it can pay anything from just a couple thousand dollars per semester to covering half or more of your tuition - it depends on the program, as well as what course(s) and how many credits you're TA'ing for.   On the bright side, in most programs the TA's are selected at least partially based on faculty preferences (i.e. be a good student in their course, endear yourself to them, and you're more likely to be selected) - and your undergrad GPA is unlikely to have anything to do with it.

Jul 6, 20 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

hey man, glad to share my experience. a bit intro. Completed B.Arch (5 years) from Pakistan with 2.7 CGPA in 2019. i opted to purse M.Arch in USA for academic year 2020.

I got admission at RISD( 22k Fellowship + Assistantship) advanced standing, PARSONS NY ( 50 % provost Scholarship) 3 year, University of Toronto ( Assistantship) and California College of the Arts ( Assitantship) advanced standing. Although i have decided for RISD i will be deferring for a year in hopes of better circumstances for international students.

I want to do masters in USA Is there possibility to get admission with assistantship in USA with GPA 2.97

i had same concerns when i was applying in USA for M.Arch, well it actually depends on a lot of factors. In my case, i had really low cgpa but i discussed it with my professors who told me to focus on portfolio which is usually the case, for most of the private colleges in USA excluding public institutes which i think with your gpa are difficult to enter.

For advice, i will tell you to look at your admission application which should be exceptional, try to present your case holistically i.e work experience, portfolio, statement of intent, writing. At the end, i think it is how you present yourself. i had no hopes of evening getting admitted into these colleges let alone assistantship but who knows what future ha planned for you. P.S sorry for my english. if you have any other questions feel free to contact me. email: [email protected]

Jul 7, 20 8:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: