Archinect
anchor

MA at Bartlett or M.Arch at Sheffield? Which is better?

those.blinks

MA masters in historic urban environments at Bartlett for 1 year

or M.Arch Riba 2 at Uni of Sheffield for 2 years ?

Hi, I am a B.arch graduate from CEPT Uni in India and am looking forward to pursuing masters in UK. Which of the two would provide better work opportunities considering the Covid scenario?

Jul 3, 20 11:12 am
those.blinks

I have received offers and need to take a call... any leads would be highly appreciated!

Jul 3, 20 12:17 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

Neither.  Work opportunities are based on the skills you have, work ethic, and potential to a an employer... not the name of the piece of paper on your wall.  

Jul 3, 20 12:26 pm  · 
2  · 
those.blinks

Absolutely agreed.

Jul 4, 20 2:53 am  · 
1  · 
robhaw

If you want to work in the UK, the MArch from Sheffield will give you RIBA accreditation and the right to work as a Part II Architectural Assstant. The MA from UCL will not. Also, MArch at Sheffield gives Town Planning qualifications and I think they even have one MArch programme were you are allowed to work and study at the same time.

Being from India, I assume that you don't have a UK passport? In that case, you need a visa to work. Look into the visa requirements (earning threshold etc) before you commit to a degree in the UK as an international student. In my experience, most international students have to leave the UK after their degree, because not many practices are willing to act as sponsors.

Overall though, Sheffield and UCL are good schools so congratulations on your offers.

Jul 3, 20 12:51 pm  · 
1  · 
those.blinks

Thanks a lot. I know that both schools are good, that is the great dilemma! This is something which I am unable to comprehend from a distance whether M.arch 2 gives better job prospects/chances compared to MA, a specialization in a particular field because lots of Indians opt for Bartlett because of London and UCL's reputation. Note to be taken, it is also very expensive for not being able to work afterwards. I don't have a British passport, am an Indian citizen and will require a T4 visa to study, which is fine.

Jul 4, 20 2:55 am  · 
 · 
TED
If either program is offering blended or off campus learning suggest you defer a year.

If your aim is to work after uni then head to London and ucl. There is a new graduate immigration route” to be announced in 2021 summer:

“A new graduate immigration route will be available to international students who have completed a degree in the UK from summer 2021. You’ll be able to work, or look for work, in the UK at any skill level for up to 2 years.”

While the Part 2 may be a better qualification think the Bartlett program will open more doors. Dirk Dennison is a very good tutor. The program will strengthen your design skills much better than the part 2 - the cohort size will be smaller with stronger collaboration. While in London you need to network and gets yourself out there if you want a job -

Sheffield is a nice city but I think the architecture program struggles a bit and from the work I’ve seen don’t think it has the complexity needed for postgraduate.
Jul 4, 20 11:10 am  · 
1  · 
those.blinks

ahh thanks a lot this does make a lot of sense, the interviewer did mention about the new graduate route and post study work visa, which will be very beneficial and no doubt the course is also unique and thorough in terms of learning opportunities. The only concern I had was regarding the difference is degrees and whether it matters against skill or experience.

Jul 4, 20 12:25 pm  · 
1  · 
TED

If you were planning to stay in the UK long term, emigrating to the UK, you would want to do the full licensing route - so MArch.(I know there is a special path to UK Nationalisation for India Nationals - 10 years of continuous visa) To become fully licensed you would then have to 'sit for Part I - ARB, and enrol in a Part III programme and gain 2 years post part II experience. Both degrees should allow you to get a Part II equiv job. Design + Const practice in the UK is very different to India so perhaps best way for you to judge your experience level is to look at end of year show catalogues and see if you think your work fits in. The 2 years might help you engage culture which is important as an architect. But in the end I still think UCL is a better University and being in London gives you so much more opportunity to get employment.

Jul 4, 20 12:45 pm  · 
1  · 
those.blinks

Not quite sure of long term route and licensing as of now. I prefer qualitative academic content for now can figure out the rest later as and when needed. Thanks though, more inclined towards Bartlett.

Jul 4, 20 1:11 pm  · 
1  · 
TED
If after a year the job market hasn’t recovered you can the apply to part 2 @bartlett
Jul 4, 20 11:12 am  · 
1  · 
those.blinks

haha I don't think I can afford it twice.

Jul 4, 20 12:26 pm  · 
1  · 
TED

It is worth it! :-)

Jul 4, 20 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
those.blinks

Twice ? Let's see, step by step.

Jul 4, 20 12:50 pm  · 
1  · 
those.blinks

About the job market, even in India projects are on hold because of Covid, waiting a year wouldn't do any good .

Jul 4, 20 12:54 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: