Archinect
anchor

Architecture Student Writing

Sara Lah

Hello, 

I am a PhD student and I am carrying out a study to investigate the writing and linguistic needs of architects.

I am now collecting the writing of practising architects and that of students. I would like to ask if anyone has any writing they produced while studying.  I am especially interested in Design and Technical Reports, as well as any dissertations. 

Please, let me know if you have any writing you can provide me and let me know if you are interested in having a discussion with me about my topic. 

P.S: This study is ethically approved by Coventry University and all writing will be kept confidential and anonymised. 

Thank you very much,

Sara 

Jul 1, 20 9:05 am
ivanmillya

Often, architecture students produce more design work (drawing production etc.) than they do typical thesis work (i.e. writing about design). You may have some luck finding theory writing done by architecture professors more than you will from students or practicing architects.

Jul 1, 20 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Thank you for your comment. I am aware that Architecture students produce more drawings than writing, and this is the point! I am focusing on under-studied genres and writing that is similar to practitioners, so writing about design is what I am aiming to collect and look at. Even though I may not collect many writing samples, I am expected to get authentic examples of writing that prepares students for the workplace.

Jul 2, 20 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I had a lot of architectural writing assignments at my school in the 1990's.   On the other hand, some of my friends at other schools wrote next to nothing.

Jul 1, 20 11:44 am  · 
1  · 

Thank you for your comment. May I ask where you went to school?

Jul 2, 20 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Thank you for your comments! If anyone can help me collect writing, I would really appreciate it. 

Jul 2, 20 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

Are you looking at reports produces for public entities? in the US I would refer to Comprehensive plans and master plans for cities, public colleges/universities. It gets to some of the writing you are looking for. Added, in the case of master plans for colleges, the format is fairly standardized based on the governing state, so you could mine for differences in the reports based on who is writing for what type of project/scope.

Jul 2, 20 6:42 pm  · 
1  · 

Thank you very much for your comment. Yes, I am looking at reports written by students at this stage of my study. Thank you for your suggestions.

Jul 7, 20 7:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: