Archinect
anchor

M.Arch Application Questions

anonymoususer

I am currently an undergraduate student pursuing a degree in Urban Studies. I am wanting to apply for the M.Arch program for Fall 2021 and my schools are - University of Calgary, UBC, University of Toronto (all Canadian universities. My first choice is U of C. I have around a 3.4 GPA in my last 20 courses (they only count last 20 courses of your degree) and I'm not really sure that's a good standing. My portfolio is currently in the works and features a wide variety of artwork and design work including sketches, paintings, woodworking, and some architectural plans and sketches. I know portfolio is super important so I am putting in a lot of work to ensure it is of high quality. I'm just nervous about my GPA since its not as high. Also, I have a couple of Cs in my courses and I'm nervous that they'll look down upon that, even though my overall GPA from the last 20 courses is 3.4. If someone can please give me some advice that would be great. 

Thanks.

Jun 22, 20 2:50 pm
Non Sequitur

what's the minimum GPA for application?  

GPA scores are used twice.  Once to verify that you meet the bare minimum and again if ever there is a tie between a few acceptable applicants.  Usually this only used for the "on the fence" applicant group.

Anyways, if you have a stellar portfolio and reference letters, your gpa will barely be looked at.

Jun 22, 20 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
anonymoususer

The minimum GPA for application is 3.0. But from what I know, the competitive average is around a 3.4/3.5 for UofC. I'm just nervous for those couple of Cs that I received. 

Jun 22, 20 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

that's cause for concern but it's not a deal breaker. Again, the portfolio is what will get you in. Worst case, UofT will take almost anyone into it's M.arch program which says alot about its quality.

got portfolio pieces to share for criticism?

Jun 22, 20 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Shaheen14

@Non Sequitur, is it possible to contact you.

Sep 21, 20 6:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: